• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone replace a tie rod on a 1999 LULL 644D-34?

CarpenterRick

My driver side tie rod is very loose. I removed the cotter pin and tried to tighten , but the threaded shaft spins with the nut.

Any ideas?

Rick

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Try tapping th tie end on the top to force the taper back downinto te steering knuckle as you try to tight it or loosen it it you want to remove it from knuckle.Sometimes this work with ease.Sometimes you need to spit the nut to remove it from knuckle also.

mitch504

You might be able to grab the shaft above the knuckle w/ vice-grips. If you don't have room for regular ones, try needle nose, just make sure you use the base of the jaws.

You'll probably have to replace the tie-rod end.

Good luck

CarpenterRick

Thanks fellas! I tested the passenger side and it was nothing like the driver side (VERY loose). I figured I would be replacing it.
Thanks again for your tips!