• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone headed to Haiti?

dieseldave

I heard on the radio today that there is widespread destruction in Haiti, along with maybe 200,000+ dead. Someone- their president or leader or chief witch doctor or whoever- was calling for heavy equipment to help clean up the disaster. I was wondering how such a thing would work- if it's a volunteer project or if paid contractors go in? I've heard that Haiti is a nasty place to work.

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
:beatsme Heard there are 9mllion people on an island the size of Maryland!:eek: Crowded:drinkup Bob aka ZZ

Bobcat190

Seeing as Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world, I am pretty sure that it would be volunteer. I would be really worried about equipment theft in Haiti, if someone can make $20 off taking your equipment they will. I believe average yearly wage is around 200-300 dollars.

Haiti was already in a huge crisis before this earthquake even happned, they were still getting over the last hurricane that flooded them out.

td25c

I just heard on the radio that FEMA has already pledged money toward the disaster.I'm sure there will be some of contractors going to Haiti to help in the cleanup and rebuild effort.I have a good friend who went to Haiti to work as a missionary.His church set him to repair & build homes.He tolled me Haiti was bad when things were going good,poor sanitation,live electric power lines laying on the ground,hard to get tools & supplys.One can only imagine what its like now after the earthquake.I'l be praying for them.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
bet its going to be as corrupt as the cleanup after katraina was......

Funny how fast FEMA is getting there.Over here they like to wait till help is needed.Like a long time. Did you know the trailer that was in storage and because Katrina victims were crying about the formaldehyde they would not send them to Ike victims.But I have seen Dealers selling them.They were bought at auction cheap but were selling for $6,000.Why are they safe for the public now and not then.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I watched the news last night and it said that there was no looting going on.Maybe it is too early for it or there might not be anything to take or a place to put it.
I chose to conclude that they are good people and would not do that to their fellow man.They are all in this together.Ron G

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I watched the news last night and it said that there was no looting going on.Maybe it is too early for it or there might not be anything to take or a place to put it.
I chose to conclude that they are good people and would not do that to their fellow man.They are all in this together.Ron G

Yes the poor are good people but like us they have a Government that likes to live high on the hog.
Lots of these poor country's you see on TV asking for money has a very rich Government.The news said Obama wasn't going.Why not those people need a change.I think we need to stop worrying about other country's and get this one on track.

Boottop

Occupation
Heavy Equipment operator for a local Fire sprikler
I read on a website, that a contractor in LA was getting a team of heavy equipment operators. I am laid off, if they needed me, I believe I would go. However, if any one goes, go to the local health dept and check up on the current shots that you need.

joispoi

An earthquake is a very startling experience. We experienced a 6.2 earthquake back in May 2008. Fortunately there was minimal damage and no loss of life. I don't think it can be compared to the damage that's caused by flooding (as happened during and after Katrina). It scares the **** out of everyone during and for weeks if not months afterwards. It brings people together, having shared the same shocking experience (one thing we all tend to take for granted is that the sky is up, the ground is down and it's supposed to stay put), not to mention that almost everyone with capable hands is trying to help out in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trakwork

Occupation
owner/operator --semi retired
Italy has a quake and the US helps by sending 50,000. Haiti gets 100,000,000 and every other source of emergency aid. Just to bad the Haitians murdered every French person, man , women and child to gain there Independence, maybe then they would have had a system in place to handle there own affairs.

Colorado Digger

Yes the poor are good people but like us they have a Government that likes to live high on the hog.
Lots of these poor country's you see on TV asking for money has a very rich Government.The news said Obama wasn't going.Why not those people need a change.I think we need to stop worrying about other country's and get this one on track.

yeah, i am with bill. i do not wish to seem ignorant to the worlds problems and tragedies but let's be honest. we need to deal with our issues and socio economic crises here in the usa. the feds could empty out the prisons and people on welfare and send them down there. we are on the brink of collapse and are not dealing with it. i am here writing this at 12.54pm because i am not at work. because there is no work.

zski5969

I'm looking to go to Haiti for work. I know soon they're going to need workers to rebuild. Im available and able to leave ASAP. My Email: zski5969@hotmail.com. Any response from contractors looking to employ people for Haiti would be much appreciated

bob L

haiti

I have been in the Katrina aftermath and have been talking to some operators,,, looking for some contractors who are going,, know of any ?

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Its worth pointing out that any operators sent there who either volunteer or are getting paid will most likely be sleeping in a camp like situation set up by Red Cross or the military, living conditions will be harsh, theres no Mc Donalds or Hooters to attend. Cold beer would be a Luxury, even to get ice would be an accomplishment.

It most certainly wouldn't be a picnic as some think, nice warm weather sure but the trade offs are HUGE.

To those who fail to understand the reason Hati is so poor, not only is their government twice as corrupt as any American government, they have little to steal in the first place because Hati really has very few raw materials for export. Couple that with little to no manufactuering sector and you have tourism left...and then they are at the bottom of the barrel there because people are quite simply scared of that island.

The international efforts will do fine, Mexico is pitching in, England is pitching in, China, alot of heavyweight rich countries will do what they can. America is pledging support and we see the dollar sign, often that isn't what they get, nobody hands them a cheque and says "here, this is for you" they get supplies like food, concrete, medical equipment, electrical grid support, and so on. That huge number we see in the media is by no means cash.

I'd go ifn I had a passport:)

Turbo21835

That story changed today. Heard that it generally takes 48-72 hours for the looting to begin. The first 24 are pure shock. Then 24-48 its those bad folks realizing that there is no law to stop them. After 48 hours, they realize they are the law.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Not too many years ago one of the companies I worked for sent a crane to Haiti. One of our mechanics went down there with a factory guy who told him not to take his bags out of checkout at the airport. They rented a car and drove to the docks where the crane was supposed to be and the only thing left was the house and carbody. The factory guy turned them around and promptly left. They got back on the plane and came home.

The factory guy explained that all the parts were carted off and hidden in hopes of ransoming it back to the owners. He said it would take months before that got enough parts back to put the machine together.

After hearing that story I had even less inclination to go to Haiti for any reason. Just ask yourself how much of that food, shelter and electricity will reach the poor people that really need it. I do feel really bad for them and all but wonder just what can be done to really make life bearable in a way that will last.