• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone Have Any Pictures of the Wabco 3200 truck?

Dayton3

Aside from three pictures in Eric Orlemann's "Super Duty Earthmovers" book and one in the "Earthmover Encyclopedia", I don't recall seeing any pictures of this relatively early large dump truck.

The truck with dual tandems on the rear apparently had some serious problems with understeering when loaded.

But 48 units were built and the last models could lug up to 260 tons which makes it worth remembering.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Wabco 3200/3200B

Hi Dayton, ask & shall recieve. I found a few pictures, hope this satisfy's your craving. (credit for these photo's goes to Hanks truck pictures)
Aside from three pictures in Eric Orlemann's "Super Duty Earthmovers" book and one in the "Earthmover Encyclopedia", I don't recall seeing any pictures of this relatively early large dump truck.

The truck with dual tandems on the rear apparently had some serious problems with understeering when loaded.

But 48 units were built and the last models could lug up to 260 tons which makes it worth remembering.

Attachments

• wabco_haulpak_3200b_1978[1].jpg
    wabco_haulpak_3200b_1978[1].jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,908
  • 451134274uVwgeY_ph[1].jpg
    451134274uVwgeY_ph[1].jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 12,640
  • wabco_3200[1].jpg
    wabco_3200[1].jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,717
  • wabco_article01[1].jpg
    wabco_article01[1].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,037

catc15

similar but that one is much bigger than the 3200. just look at the comparison of the trucks to the guys in the pictures. big difference, yet same princible, haul as much as you can as fast as you can. kinda like how it is today.

catc15

plus they are two different manufacturing brands. one is a wabco and the other much larger is the terex.

rotorhead86

Occupation
Surface Coal Mine
What I think is interesting about the WABCO is that it makes almost 2500hp. at 900 rpms. The big CAT's Komatsu's, and Liebherr's all make make close that same power, but all spin up to 2 grand. Plus the 797 has 12 extra pistons sucking fuel (granted it does make more power).

rotorhead86

Occupation
Surface Coal Mine
That is still amazing no matter what kind of engine it is. At our load out I sit and watch the loaded trains leaving and they pull 12,000 tons of coal like it is nothing. That would also make sense as to why they never seem to rev up under power, they just smoke more and make more noise.

GearWheel

Terex only built one Titan haul truck. A show piece for a mine expo. before it went to Sparwood. I have heard from people that did work on that truck. That to keep that Titan working was nothing but trouble, it was junk.
That's why it looks so good in it's retirement. low hours and few dents!!
The 11 WABCO 3200B's at Lornex Mining had a hard life with "Deep Pit Mining" until retirement in 1991. I think the year was.
Numbers ran from 40 to 50. The picture of 42 is a Lornex truck

alco

Yes, there was only one Terex Titan, but it certainly wasn't built as a show truck for MinExpo. The truck was a prototype, and as such, suffered from many of the issues that prototype trucks do. It spent a good number of years in California before it ever went to Sparwood, and worked a good number of years after the trip. The biggest issue with maintaining the truck, was that, being a prototype, it didn't have the parts support that production trucks do. The truck was far from being junk, and certainly didn't have low hours when it was retired by any means. The reason it looks like it does, with so few dents, is due to the time and effort put into it's restoration by the many dedicated folks who worked on it.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I have often wondered how those tandem dumps steered loaded, on a pull . . . I have had a few hair raising moments in a "B" Model when she locked in wouldn't rein near or off.

Cheers.

KBS

Wow, pretty amazing piece of equipment. It's unbelievable what companies are capable of manufacturing.

Dayton3

I've gotten most of the images linked to here in the FIVE years since I started this thread.

I've noticed the Russians have finally broken a barrier with their 500 ton plus truck. Still wondering where the rumored 540 ton Cat was going to make an appearance?

alco

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 540 ton Cat. I have no doubt that there will be a larger truck than a 797 at some point. I just don't think we're there yet.