1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Anyone Have Any Pictures of the Wabco 3200 truck?

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by Dayton3, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Dayton3

Dayton3 Active Member

Aside from three pictures in Eric Orlemann's "Super Duty Earthmovers" book and one in the "Earthmover Encyclopedia", I don't recall seeing any pictures of this relatively early large dump truck.

The truck with dual tandems on the rear apparently had some serious problems with understeering when loaded.

But 48 units were built and the last models could lug up to 260 tons which makes it worth remembering.

2. Dug Overburden

Dug Overburden Well-Known Member

trucker
    Wabco 3200/3200B

Hi Dayton, ask & shall recieve. I found a few pictures, hope this satisfy's your craving. (credit for these photo's goes to Hanks truck pictures)

Attached Files:

3. stock

stock Senior Member

We have moved on and now were lost....
  4. catc15

catc15 Active Member

similar but that one is much bigger than the 3200. just look at the comparison of the trucks to the guys in the pictures. big difference, yet same princible, haul as much as you can as fast as you can. kinda like how it is today.

5. catc15

catc15 Active Member

plus they are two different manufacturing brands. one is a wabco and the other much larger is the terex.

6. rotorhead86

rotorhead86 Member

Surface Coal Mine
    What I think is interesting about the WABCO is that it makes almost 2500hp. at 900 rpms. The big CAT's Komatsu's, and Liebherr's all make make close that same power, but all spin up to 2 grand. Plus the 797 has 12 extra pistons sucking fuel (granted it does make more power).

7. catc15

catc15 Active Member

2500hp at 900rpm's wow that things a power house

8. Dayton3

Dayton3 Active Member

Locomotive engine

9. rotorhead86

rotorhead86 Member

Surface Coal Mine
    That is still amazing no matter what kind of engine it is. At our load out I sit and watch the loaded trains leaving and they pull 12,000 tons of coal like it is nothing. That would also make sense as to why they never seem to rev up under power, they just smoke more and make more noise.

10. NL1CAT

NL1CAT Well-Known Member

Operator
    And they're 2 stroke ..

11. GearWheel

GearWheel New Member

Terex only built one Titan haul truck. A show piece for a mine expo. before it went to Sparwood. I have heard from people that did work on that truck. That to keep that Titan working was nothing but trouble, it was junk.
    That's why it looks so good in it's retirement. low hours and few dents!!
    The 11 WABCO 3200B's at Lornex Mining had a hard life with "Deep Pit Mining" until retirement in 1991. I think the year was.
    Numbers ran from 40 to 50. The picture of 42 is a Lornex truck

12. alco

alco Senior Member

Yes, there was only one Terex Titan, but it certainly wasn't built as a show truck for MinExpo. The truck was a prototype, and as such, suffered from many of the issues that prototype trucks do. It spent a good number of years in California before it ever went to Sparwood, and worked a good number of years after the trip. The biggest issue with maintaining the truck, was that, being a prototype, it didn't have the parts support that production trucks do. The truck was far from being junk, and certainly didn't have low hours when it was retired by any means. The reason it looks like it does, with so few dents, is due to the time and effort put into it's restoration by the many dedicated folks who worked on it.

13. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . . I have often wondered how those tandem dumps steered loaded, on a pull . . . I have had a few hair raising moments in a "B" Model when she locked in wouldn't rein near or off.

Cheers.

14. KBS

KBS Member

Wow, pretty amazing piece of equipment. It's unbelievable what companies are capable of manufacturing.

15. LuNaTIcFrEAk

LuNaTIcFrEAk Member

16. Dayton3

Dayton3 Active Member

I've gotten most of the images linked to here in the FIVE years since I started this thread.

I've noticed the Russians have finally broken a barrier with their 500 ton plus truck. Still wondering where the rumored 540 ton Cat was going to make an appearance?

17. alco

alco Senior Member

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 540 ton Cat. I have no doubt that there will be a larger truck than a 797 at some point. I just don't think we're there yet.