• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone have any experience with a terex crossover 6000

boomers

anyone have any experience with a terex crossover 6000 looking at buying a new 1 and like to talk to someone that has run 1 or is running 1 on a daily basis thanks in advance

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
anyone have any experience with a terex crossover 6000 looking at buying a new 1 and like to talk to someone that has run 1 or is running 1 on a daily basis thanks in advance
A couple guys near me have the 8000 they seem to love them. The only bad they had to say was that the hydraulic pump had to be cranked up from stock to run three functions smoothly and it took almost a week with a laptop in the cab to get the electric pilot controls set to suit.

crane operator

I have no experience with the crossover, I actually like the design.

That said, I would have a hard time buying a terex product. Their parts department is terrible. It doesn't seem to matter who the dealer is, terex just can't get their act together. Slow response time, no availablilty, etc.

They have new great slogans every year, but if you have a crane over five years old, they really couldn't care less about you.

The rt and truck cranes I've been around are not terribly robust. Cracking frames etc. They were typically cheaper by $100,000 than a grove or a link-belt new, and there's a reason why.

Just to give you a example, the 60 ton truck cranes from the early 2000's used a custom aluminum bellhousing for the pump drive. Instead of just driving it off the front crank, or using a iron casting. The bolts get loose, or the vibration of the motor and the torque cause them to go bad. Can't get them because they were custom. Last time I was talking with a guy about them was 5-6years ago, and a used one was on ebay for $18,000. A new one- if you could get one from terex, was list for over $40,000. Can't run your crane with no pumps....

Can't get parts for your old microguard computer? tough.

A year or two ago, they had a "consolidation" of their parts distibution in europe- basically outsourced it all, and moved all to one location away from the factory (I'm sure for a write down/ bean counter reason) And it was a huge, huge disaster. no parts shipped out for months. It was in a few articles, but most of the trade magazines, don't want to highlight stuff like that , because terex advertises in their magazine.

https://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/30545/

ichudov

What he said. My Grove is 44 years old and still runs great! Only now it was starting to rust, but I painted it. It was, clearly, built very "expensively" back in the day.

Last edited:

Knepptune

I’ve always thought that terex is the best load chart for the money. They almost always beat everyone else’s load chart for the the same tonnage.

That’s about the only upside. They’re a ten year crane. Cheap iron.

Get a 10 year old grove tms700e. Hangs more counterweight and has a smaller footprint. I think the crossover is 24’ and the rams is 21’. And even is it’s ten years older it’ll still outlast the terex.

Also if you go that route your not into the def engine. And you don’t want a def engine.