• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone Have an idea what year this Ford 5500 backhoe is?

Clydesdale

Okay I went there today, it was getting to dark to quick I am going to return tomorrow with my own working flashlight.
but this what I found for numbers.
C5NN713
C5NN E891-D

6711 7006 6
8m28

Does this mean anything to anyone? my dad was sleeping so I could not ask him anything.

ror76a

From those numbers I would guess it is a 1967. I believe the 5500 was only made from 66-69. Check the swing post that the back boom pins on to, if it is like the 555 series it should have the last 2 digits of the year stamped on it. My grandpa bought one new back in 66 or 67, with a cab. You could not see the first 500 feet around the machine with that cab on it. It did all right on hard surfaces, but my memory of it was that it was stuck all the time. My uncle always said that it did not have enough power to get out of it's own way.:D

Clydesdale

I looked it over again today and found nothing more for numbers how ever I will go back and do as ROR76a suggests, Do the Ag and industrial version have the same tranny's?

biged

Occupation
Part time Baker!
How To Determine Year of Ford 5500

My response is late but I've been working on my 5500 for months now.
I have a 5500 that I have been restoring and working with on my property.

There is a boss on the right side of the transmission housing, just above/behind the starter that has the serial number of your machine. The number is stamped on the top surface of the boss and is probably covered with years of filth. Use carb or brake cleaner and scrub.
There are several sets of numbers, mine reads C200XXX (Xed out for privacy) then 8D10B the 8D10B translates to 1968 (8), April (D), 10 (tenth), B (day shift).

The year really doesn't matter much since the 5500's are pretty much the same.

Ford 5500 TLB is built on a Ford 5000 AG Tractor. In fact mine is still the original Ford AG blue engine to rear axle, Yellow outside of course.

The shuttle shift is enclosed in the front of the transmission housing.

If you need a copy of that section of the repair manual I will gladly send it to you.

outbackrider

I would also suggest googling Ford 5500 backhoe photos and see what comes up.
You might be able to confirm the year range, at least when your close you can look
up the manual. Also check out ebay for manuals on cd...

Agreed, also check out ytmag.com and look under the Ford forums....they know this
vintage iron well.

Here's another site also..this looks like yours.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/239271-now-i-went-done-got-1.html

Last edited: