1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Anyone Have an idea what year this Ford 5500 backhoe is?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Clydesdale, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Member

Hello Everyone,

I am new so here so be kind to my ignorance. I am not a mechanic, however my dad is and I do have some basic knowledge just not wiz at this stuff. If you ask me any questions I can not answer I will try to get you an answer. I have a backhoe, (it looks like it belongs in the scrap heap) no one knows anything about it. The guy I got it from said he thought it was a 1974, but it is not, because I bought the repair manuals and it is not a 74, I got both the agricultural and construction version of the manual. (Thank god the company refunded my money) It appears to be a Ford 5500. I researched online how to find the year, I read on the right side near the starter but there is nothing there.

The machine only moves in forward, my dad is willing to help me repair this but only with the manual. So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I did find GJ42C01 9E29B stamped on the front flange of the rear end, and I did find the motor castings, looks like it is a 67 motor which my dad said was useless to fix the movement issue.
    I am posting a pictures if you need more they are posted at http://www.purringdesigns.com/backhoe.htm.

I was told the shuttle shift position will be how the year will be found. I have no idea how true that is.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. JBGASH

JBGASH Senior Member

Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
    it is for sure early 70's

3. trevor b

trevor b Well-Known Member

don't give up on the old girl . look's like she's got lot's of life left in her yet pretty good looking shape. tb

4. waterman28

waterman28 Well-Known Member

Good looking hoe, stay with it. You say your not a mechanic now... you will be when you get her all fixed up, and that's not a bad thing. How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time. That's how you go at these things. Enjoy the time you spend repairing and learning with your father and you will be REALLY happy when you are finally able to use the old girl. ;) Sorry I cant help with the year.
    Scott

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. daman

daman Well-Known Member

Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
    I agree with the above early 70's I'd say,probably a torque coveter or solenoid problem,follow my link below sign up and ask this question over there allot of knowledgeable people over there on the older iron.

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/index.php

6. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Member

I have bo intention on giving up, I am just stuck till I can get a manual for her. Because I am a woman all the guys around here laugh at me and tell me she belongs in the scrap heap. I am determined to fix this machine.I appreciate any help, I will check out the link provided.

7. daman

daman Well-Known Member

That hoe looks better then most around here,good luck and keep us posted! and you being a woman means nothing, a person can do many things with just a little help.

8. trevor b

trevor b Well-Known Member

i raise my glass to you on being a woman as far as the scrap heap goes there just jealous tb

9. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Member

If this should be in the early 70s what year did they make that shuttle shiftin that position? Or maybe the question to ask is what years did it not make it like that? I guess if I elemenate years I will get the right one at some point.
    I wish I knew more about heavy equipment. I appreciate the support, nice not to be laughed at for once.

10. chroniekon

chroniekon Senior Member

Are there any serial numbers anywhere?

11. 51kw

51kw Well-Known Member

Used to have a 1976 755 here and that looks to be real close to that vintage.

12. daman

daman Well-Known Member

13. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix New Member

Hello, new to this forum, and am looking to identify a Ford myself(being new I am not permitted to start a new topic). I know that it has a 3cyl engine and the hoe attachment is not Ford. I plan on using this around the property and for snow removal. I currently have a 1973 Case W7E wheel loader for the snow removal and it would be a strait trade, any opinions on the deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix New Member

PS How does one post images to teh forum without having to have readers clic on a link? I used the html [​IMG]

15. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Member

Daman- I tried to post there, when I tried to register it kept telling me I have the incorrect code, I am not blind the code was clear I tried 3 times thought I would wait till tonight to try again, but i have every intention of posting there as well as long as I can register.

Chroniekon-The only numbers I have found is on the front flange of the rear end, and castings on the motor it's self. I have looked and looked I was told it should be on the right side of the tractor near the starter, Am I looking in the correct spot? I have looked all over it with out any sucess. I am more than willing to look somewhere that someone can point me to.

51kw- is the shuttle shift position/placement the same?

Thanks for all the help

16. chroniekon

chroniekon Senior Member

I did a google search for the location and this is what I found: "The PIN Plate/Decal location for the Ford Industrial Tractor 5500 is located on the engine rocker and valve cover. The Stamped serial numbers are located on the right hand side of the transmission on top of the upper implement mounting boss."

17. Mapleleaftrucks

Mapleleaftrucks Active Member

I had one back in the day, mine looked identical to yours only with a cab, Mine was a 1970 ford 5550.shuttle shift was in same place as yours, Strong old machines but heavy and slow.

18. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Member

Chroniekon- Where did you find that information, really no matter but I am impressed, I only found what I had mentioned earlier, I will look tomorrow, It is sitting by my dad garage, not here so I can not run outside and look. I am so excited. I will post what i find tomorrow evening.

Mapleleaftrucks- Thank you for a year, I find nothing I will just order a 70's repair manual. No doubt this machine is very heavy, I do not know how slow it is because it will not move forward.

I can't believe it I might final be making some headway here. You guys are great!

19. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

you got us all "DIGGING" for info lol ...good looking backhoe...... the 4 levels work good for moving more than one cylinder at a time............when i look for year/model for my 555a ford is comes up 1983/1985......so year built shouldn't matter as long as it same model to model on parts... GL

20. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Member

Hi eveyone, I wanted to drop you all a note to let you know I was unable to get to my dad's today I will there tomorrow I completely forgot the ferrier was coming today showed up at 8 am left at 4 pm, I am beat. To top it off a couple of my hiefers decided to take a stroll. I actually feed my crew fell asleep and just woke and it is pouring outside. It was a very long day to say the least. Please accept my apology this is very important to me.

Jimg984- I apprciate the digging- I dug for weeks, you all found more in days than I did in weeks, that is what prompted me for me help.