• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone Familiar with Hein Werner?

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction
Seen an old Hein Werner C14B Excavator on my Craigslist today, Here's the ad if anyone is looking for one. https://toledo.craigslist.org/hvo/d/nashport-1979-hein-werner-trackhoe/6821921208.html

What's the history on these, Were they American Made, Rare machines/Reliable? Are parts still available?
Maybe in the near future, I'd like to own one... They remind me of the Bantam Excavators.
I'm looking for a complete set of pictures on a C14-B model. Thanks

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction
I've got one that I've use on the farm for a number of years. Its Old, ugly and slow but it starts every time I hit the button and does a great job.
I'm actually trying to sell or trade.
https://southbend.craigslist.org/hvo/d/buchanan-1960ish-hein-werner-12-hd/6789041826.html
Nice machine Rob. I'm In Holland, MI. Great to see a Localish member! Too big for me. Where on a Small Orchard...
Would be nice if i can find another Older tractor with a Front loader on it That's what my pops is looking for

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I have a C12HD as well, and I absolutely love it. It’s never let me down in the 9 years now that I’ve owned it. To be fair I don’t use it much at all lately but every time I need it all it needs is a fresh battery charge and away we go. Right now it’s set up with a grapple and gets used to move logs around my dad’s sawmill. I can’t tell you about parts availability because I’ve never needed any yet (and hopefully didn’t just jinx myself here) but the pumps are Commercial shearing pumps that were off the shelf items if I’m not mistaken. The engine is a 4-53 detroit so parts for that should be easy to find if they’re ever needed.
I have a few little videos on my youtube page if you’re interested...

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction
I have a C12HD as well, and I absolutely love it. It’s never let me down in the 9 years now that I’ve owned it. To be fair I don’t use it much at all lately but every time I need it all it needs is a fresh battery charge and away we go. Right now it’s set up with a grapple and gets used to move logs around my dad’s sawmill. I can’t tell you about parts availability because I’ve never needed any yet (and hopefully didn’t just jinx myself here) but the pumps are Commercial shearing pumps that were off the shelf items if I’m not mistaken. The engine is a 4-53 detroit so parts for that should be easy to find if they’re ever needed.
I have a few little videos on my youtube page if you’re interested...

Boy That sure is one sweet machine. just don't come along them very often but my beliefs of these old girls outlasting the new ones is exceeded... Hell if i lived on a bigger patch of land other than the 5 acres i got... I'd probably be getting me one. Haha. Them old Detroits don't die for anything.

that's good to know she's a REAL workhorse that doesn't give up... I'd just be worried about gearbox parts and that sorta situation That's just me though.
well if those sheering pumps are off-shelf i wouldn't doubt if any universal ones would fit right in place. thanks for sharing! I'll check out your videos.

old timer

Occupation
field mechanic
Wow.... That brings back memories, my dad had a fleet of Hein Werners 12's, 14's, a 14B and a 24B, Back in the 70's went to the service school in the Waukesha factory. True beasts. most of the parts were off the shelf. Thanks for the memories!

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction
Wow.... That brings back memories, my dad had a fleet of Hein Werners 12's, 14's, a 14B and a 24B, Back in the 70's went to the service school in the Waukesha factory. True beasts. most of the parts were off the shelf. Thanks for the memories!
That musta been sweet! Those 24s I seen a picture of them Real monsters... Sure no worries. There really neat machines that's for sure. Almost like the Bantam Excavators.

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Sure are cool machines, did they use 2-Strokes too? Don't see them often!
Yes, this one had a 4-53. It was very worn out and sounded like it ran on only 3 cylinders most of the time but it did run. Drove 3 hydraulic pumps through a Funk gearbox and then a hydraulic motor drove a roller chain reduction unit that powered the shafting for the friction swing and drive.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Case acquired Poclain HE in '81, the machine name started in Germany and eventually ended in France. What I find odd is Allis in the same time frame merged to Fiat and ended up leaving the US.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I worked on Poclain at the first dealer I worked at. All I've known of them was they were French. Poclain, Case and Drott were owned by Tenneco Corporation in 1980. Since the dealer I worked at was also the Link-Belt and International Harvester dealer, the Poclain and Drott lines were pulled from us and a bunch of us wrenches were laid off in 1981.
Poclain, I believe was the first high pressure hydraulic system used in an excavator. It was done before there was seal technology that could hold the pressure for any amount of time. You had to use ATF for oil and it was all subject to tons of heat. Later on in my career I ended up with two HC300 machines in a fleet that were just miserable to keep running. They would use a drum of oil a week and then you would reseal the valves and tighten all the fittings on the tubing. Three weeks later the machines would be using a drum of oil a week again. The only good thing about the machines was they used Detroit 8V71 power.

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction
Case acquired Poclain HE in '81, the machine name started in Germany and eventually ended in France. What I find odd is Allis in the same time frame merged to Fiat and ended up leaving the US.
That's sweet someone here has knowledge on those poclains. There neat machines.

How I found out about them is CMC and Poclain Joined together sometime in the mid-70s and made a wheel loader... P10/20/30
I was told after Research only roughly 50, P10 loaders were made. Pretty sweet machines. Have a bunch of rare photos.

HydraMacDieHard79

Occupation
Concrete & Construction
I worked on Poclain at the first dealer I worked at. All I've known of them was they were French. Poclain, Case and Drott were owned by Tenneco Corporation in 1980. Since the dealer I worked at was also the Link-Belt and International Harvester dealer, the Poclain and Drott lines were pulled from us and a bunch of us wrenches were laid off in 1981.
Poclain, I believe was the first high pressure hydraulic system used in an excavator. It was done before there was seal technology that could hold the pressure for any amount of time. You had to use ATF for oil and it was all subject to tons of heat. Later on in my career I ended up with two HC300 machines in a fleet that were just miserable to keep running. They would use a drum of oil a week and then you would reseal the valves and tighten all the fittings on the tubing. Three weeks later the machines would be using a drum of oil a week again. The only good thing about the machines was they used Detroit 8V71 power.

Very nice! Wow, I didn't know it was all owned by Tenneco..? I knew Drott had dealing in there.
But you are correct Poclain was the first for that High-Pressure Hydraulic Systems... That's pretty awwing to hear your machines would use about a Drum of Oil! Wowza!! I agree with you there only good thing was the Detroits.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The older smaller machines were fine for what they were. Just as my Allis, a bit slow, cumbersome but at the time lightning compared to the even older machines.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In their day they would dig hard rock better than any other machine of that time frame. Big cylinders and lots of oil at high pressure would wear out buckets and break sticks and booms. They leaked oil at about have the rate of fuel burn. Expensive to say the least. I had seen some smaller machines that were somewhat streamlined and rounded that had computers. Both of those were dead for computer parts. The line died in this country after that.