• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone ever enlargen the pin hole on a Wain Roy Bucket??

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
I have a 410 JD backhoe that came with the Wain Roy twister quick change bucket coupling on it. It came with an 18 inch and a 24 inch bucket. I need to do a trenching job on my property where a 12 inch bucket would be far better. I found a wicked good deal on a Wain Roy badged 12 inch bucket, but it has the smaller 1-1/2 inch pin hole on the bucket. Mine has the larger 1-3/4 inch pin hole. I could open up the hole to my size pretty easily, but I'm not sure if the distance between where the square opening for the boom mounts and the pin hole will be the same. Has anyone ever done this? I've tried to find some specs showing measurements on the different style buckets, but so far have not been able to find any. I know allot of guys don't like these buckets because they get sloppy when worn. But I tightened both of mine up fairly easily by welding flat shims on the bucket. And the machine is not out making money, so they stay tight for me. The price is right on the bucket I found, but I hate to buy it, bore out the pin hole, and then have it not fit. Any input would be helpful.

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
Anybody?? I'm thinking that the pin size is regulated by the capacity of the bucket.

AzIron

There ar 3 or 4 different wainroy sizes they are not interchangeable because the couplers are physically different I bet the 12 inch bucket is for a 1/8th yard coupler like on a mini ex as opposed to a 1/4 yard coupler you find on 310s and 410s

The easiest way to tell is most all buckets related to coupler size are the same height all my 1/4 yard coupler buckets are within 5 inches of each other compared to an 1/8 yard is about 10 inches shorter

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the input AzIron !! I am all set. I emailed Woods equipment this morning and heard back from them a little while ago. They sell Wain Roy couplers and buckets. Not only are the pin sizes different in the buckets, but the round tube diameter where the coupler hooks around it is different too. So a bucket with and 1-1/2 inch pin might have a 3 inch diameter tube and a bucket with an 1-3/4 inch pin might have a 4 inch diameter tube. I think as long as a given bucket has the same size pin as your coupler, then it should fit. And like you said, the overall dimensions of the buckets according to capacity are much different in size.

AzIron

You should see a 1/4 yard coupler bucket for my 310s next to the 1/2 yard size bucket for my 446 it's over twice the size