• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody seen these bottom dumps?

stepp3360

I need a little assistance. Attached is a picture of a Pacific tractor pulling a bottom dump train at a mine in Wyoming I believe. Been looking around to locate the builder of the trailers, but no luck. This information is needed for a modeling project.

Any suggestions, or information would be appreciated,
Regards, John

Attachments

• file0009_sml.jpg
    file0009_sml.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,175

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
I need a little assistance. Attached is a picture of a Pacific tractor pulling a bottom dump train at a mine in Wyoming I believe. Been looking around to locate the builder of the trailers, but no luck. This information is needed for a modeling project.

Any suggestions, or information would be appreciated,
Regards, John

I found this while looking for any information for you. Henry Mine, Soda Springs, Idaho,

Attachments

• Pacific (Small).jpg
    Pacific (Small).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,410
Last edited:

stepp3360

Henry Mine

Helps for the information. As you can see I had the wrong State in Wyoming. Your picture is another of the three I have been able to locate all on Hanks' truck pictures. I have a good source of brochure's and information on lot's of off road bottom dumps. I just can't match these specific trailers.
Helps for the assist.
John

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Helps for the information. As you can see I had the wrong State in Wyoming. Your picture is another of the three I have been able to locate all on Hanks' truck pictures. I have a good source of brochure's and information on lot's of off road bottom dumps. I just can't match these specific trailers.
Helps for the assist.
John

The mine is both in Idaho and Wyoming, on the border.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
do you mean like these?

the first pictures are a set of 'clam shells' ( not sure of the real name)
and the second picture is a set of super b Belly dumps. I would imagine you could add an extra trailer or two in line .

Clam shells are great for hauling in base, it is laid down in a windrow, which is great for the guy in in the grader

Attachments

• MC-Train.jpg
    MC-Train.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,878
  • sbcg1.jpg
    sbcg1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,997
Last edited:

Northart

Belly Dumps ?

Hello Step3360 ,

Kiewit had some 100 ton doubles on the slope. Cat 777tractor pulling them.

Here's some Belly's pulled by Cat 660 tractors.

Attachments

• Cat 660_bottom_dump.jpg
    Cat 660_bottom_dump.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,235
  • Cat 660x2bottom_dumps.jpg
    Cat 660x2bottom_dumps.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,713

Northart

B70 and Holland Belly Dumps

Here's some other brands of large, off hwy belly dumps.

Attachments

• B70 Belly Dump.JPG
    B70 Belly Dump.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,642
  • Holland BD180.JPG
    Holland BD180.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 4,588

stepp3360

Northart Great Picture

Northart,
Great picture of AIC Euclid bottom dumps. Didn't Tennessee Miller run B-70 pon the slope? You don't happen to have any pictures of the Catwilder Trucking Autocar dumps used on the slope in the 70's and 80's. I have one picture taken of the tractors taken at Alaska Sales and Service, and one of the dump trailers taken from a far, at the Anchorage docks.
Thanks,
John

Northart

B 70's

Hello Stepp3360,

Right now AIC and Alaska Frontier Construction aka(John Ellsworth), SKW Eskimos have all the B70's .

Tennessee Miller had 26 Euc's of all sizes. Then Green, and MB had some. All these have been acquired by the above mentioned.

Everybody is re-engineing them with Cat engines. :usa $35,000 for the conversion. Dramatic fuel savings. :)

Tires and rims for the B70's getting hard to come by. An obsolete size. Outrageous prices for the few available I'm told. Can't remember:Banghead what they said it was, anymore.

Barely remember the Catwilder, Auto car. Wasn't it some woman from Fairbanks that owned them ? :beatsme Don't have any pix of those I know.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I remember seeing some of the Euc's as a kid, can't remember where though. What make is the second?

How do bottom dumps work? Do they dump on the fly so the trailer wheels ride up on the load as it empties or must they strictly dump into pits?

stepp3360

bottom dumps

Steve,
All bottom dump usually dump on the fly, and quickly. The windrow that is left is between the rear tires. I have seen some in Canada that I believe are called a cross clam, that dump the full width of the trailer. They use chain to control the depth of the material. The second bottom dump is made by the Holland belt loader outfit. It's designed to work with their belt loaders. The trailer is like a clam, and look like it splits in half when opened.
Their a great video on Youtube that shows bottom dumps at work. Type in C&J equipment, and it should be easy to find.
John