• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody have suggestions. Bellydump full of hardened asphalt

Chrisgagnon

So I just took over a job managing a yard with a bunch of different trucks and trailers. There is one "special" trailer I need to somehow unload. Apparently someone left asphalt in a bellydump trailer. It has hardened up. It's been it the trailer for at least 1 year. The belly opens up so that's a good thing, however does not close completely so I can't detach the tractor. I was thinking. Back the trailer on a mound of dirt and get a diesel heater and heat that asphalt. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Delmer

If you were asking in July, maybe heat it. This time of year, assuming you want to use it before July, get somebody started with a jackhammer on the top to bore into it, or start with heat at the bottom, but the heat is only going open up a channel to let the guy with the jackhammer drop the pieces through.

Second thought, pour diesel around the trailer wall, let it soak in few days, repeat a few times. Then build a ramp of sand next to the trailer, roll it over onto it's top, then heat the trailer in sections starting at the bottom and working up each side.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've used a propane powered weed burner torch on dump bodies but have never dealt with an asphalt trailer. If you aren't worried about paint and the trailer is single wall, heating the wall and floor will loosen the bond while someone topside digs it out with a drain spade. Once you get the underside warm, it will want to let go.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Is it a full load, or just a couple ton. Use caution with fuel and fire. I saw a spreader that had asphalt left in the hopper after a breakdown. They soaked it with fuel, as you do, but they went too crazy with the tiger torch and it caught her on fire. If it's a full load, oil around the outside of the load and an excavator, a few tons might require fuel, some heat, and a lot of elbow grease. The same company that lost the spreader, also left a load in a shuttle buggy, and by a load, I mean over 20 metric tonne. That was an excavator racket, and some you're fired action.

skyking1

Hot asphalt is a "by whatever means necessary" situation. I was on a site when a transfer truck box got off the rollers and I was the guy with the chain and (Big) excavator to get it back on the rails.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Chris! I have family in Odessa, been there several times.

Mini-ex with hammer and a spade bit.