1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Anybody have suggestions. Bellydump full of hardened asphalt

Discussion in 'Other Paving Equipment' started by Chrisgagnon, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Chrisgagnon

Chrisgagnon New Member

So I just took over a job managing a yard with a bunch of different trucks and trailers. There is one "special" trailer I need to somehow unload. Apparently someone left asphalt in a bellydump trailer. It has hardened up. It's been it the trailer for at least 1 year. The belly opens up so that's a good thing, however does not close completely so I can't detach the tractor. I was thinking. Back the trailer on a mound of dirt and get a diesel heater and heat that asphalt. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

saturate it in diesel fuel as well

BigWrench55 likes this.
  3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If you were asking in July, maybe heat it. This time of year, assuming you want to use it before July, get somebody started with a jackhammer on the top to bore into it, or start with heat at the bottom, but the heat is only going open up a channel to let the guy with the jackhammer drop the pieces through.

Second thought, pour diesel around the trailer wall, let it soak in few days, repeat a few times. Then build a ramp of sand next to the trailer, roll it over onto it's top, then heat the trailer in sections starting at the bottom and working up each side.

Truck Shop and skyking1 like this.
  4. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Online auction sold as is (;

colson04 and Chrisgagnon like this.
  5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Better yet get a powder monkey to thump it.

shopguy likes this.
  6. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    I've used a propane powered weed burner torch on dump bodies but have never dealt with an asphalt trailer. If you aren't worried about paint and the trailer is single wall, heating the wall and floor will loosen the bond while someone topside digs it out with a drain spade. Once you get the underside warm, it will want to let go.

7. shopguy

shopguy Senior Member

If it is like what they use on the roads here it is about ready to fall apart anyway.lol

CM1995, colson04, JPV and 1 other person like this.
  8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Are you living in Walla Walla too! lol

shopguy likes this.
  9. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    Is it a full load, or just a couple ton. Use caution with fuel and fire. I saw a spreader that had asphalt left in the hopper after a breakdown. They soaked it with fuel, as you do, but they went too crazy with the tiger torch and it caught her on fire. If it's a full load, oil around the outside of the load and an excavator, a few tons might require fuel, some heat, and a lot of elbow grease. The same company that lost the spreader, also left a load in a shuttle buggy, and by a load, I mean over 20 metric tonne. That was an excavator racket, and some you're fired action.

10. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Hot asphalt is a "by whatever means necessary" situation. I was on a site when a transfer truck box got off the rollers and I was the guy with the chain and (Big) excavator to get it back on the rails.

11. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Welcome to the Forums Chris! I have family in Odessa, been there several times.

Mini-ex with hammer and a spade bit.

shopguy likes this.
  12. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

post a picture of the belly gates

13. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Should do the trick;)

Keith Merrell and shopguy like this.
  14. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

It always amazed how dusty that town is. All the time.

CM1995 likes this.