• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody have>NEW Dodge 5500 /Sterling

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
Does anyone have the new Dodge 5500 or Sterling Bullet in there fleet?
I have one on order but the truck isn't available i Canada yet. But they have been on the lots in the US for 5 weeks now. If you have one, pls give me your review.

I have ordered a Sterling bullet> quadcab, 4x4, 84inch cab to axle. I will be installing a Ampliroll AL90S hooklift. This truck has 19,500GVW and weighs only 7800Pounds even with the 4x4. I look forward to the 6.7 Cummins!

Attachments

• BULLET.jpg
    BULLET.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 5,075

6DoubleDuece

So, you decided not to go with the international. Are you going to use a trailer also? Those trucks look nice I might get one in about a year to replace my f-450.

I have been very busy but I will get you those pictures of the hook setup in the next few days.

Thanks
Brenden

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
Brenden,

Still thinking of the international. Thanks again for that information Brenden!!

I decided to go with this truck unless someone tells me I am crazy!
and yes I am going to purchase a 14 or 16 ft deckover to haul a 2nd or 4th bin(nested).

Here's my math
7800 truck
1680 Hooklift
750 fluids& fenders
2800 15 yard container
13030 Total
minus the 19500 GVW
gives me 6470pds of legal payload

I have averaged out my dump weights for this year and other than for concrete or dirt I would be legal 99% of the time. I am going to sell my rock box and have a smaller box made 10x5x2 so I can't get overloaded. I am going to continue to grow my bus until there's enough demand for a larger truck then I will use the Sterling for delivering bins and picking up the smaller loads.

6DoubleDuece

Hey, Bret no problem.

2800 15 yard container

The only thing I see is maybe your a little off on your container weight but if your doing tubs than that would explain it. Mine are in the 3200 range.

With 6400 in payload you should be good to go. I think average for my loads is about 3500. It's the dirt and concrete that kills us. How big is your concrete bin now?

Thanks
Brenden

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
Brenden,

I mostly use tubs(2800ish pounds).
My rock bin is 12x8x 21"sides. This is a great bin it was made for dual lift, d-rings and a coal chute in the back door, but I will have to go with a smaller bin for the new truck.

hvy 1ton> thanks for the link it sounds like everyone loves there truck but there is alot of cunfusion and frustration the the "flash" updates for the computer that is giving some owners varying fuel milleage. The 08's seem to be doing better as the dealers get on-board with the new motor.
Thanks again!

Bret

Attachments

• rockbin.jpg
    rockbin.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,396

hvy 1ton

No problem. I have been through that section a lot lately. The most important part of the new motors, they need to been run hard to keep the dpf clean, and all kinds of other stuff. You shouldn't have any problem at all with your application.

bins

So far I have only dumped two 10 yard cans which came in at 1.2 tons for each, and two 20 yard cans one at 1.6 tons and the other at 1.2 tons. I can see how it could be done with a F-550 and a small hook.

Any updates.

Last edited:

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
Bins> funny you should post today, because I am debating my next move in the bin business. I did order the 19,500 gvw Sterling bullet from our loacal dealer. The truck was supposed to be here last month (nov), but just like the dodge 5500 they are late. Dealers here just staring getting a few 5500 reg cabs in the past week. I have only been overloaded a couple of times but I think as I learn more that it is avoidable. My debate is to go with the 5500 and smaller hook or go with the same truck that "6DoubleDuece" bought
which is a 39K gvw 2003 intnational 7400 with a 20k stellar. Pic posted below .

The debate is oboiusly the gvw,the hook weight (12,500), the hook height Mine (36") and other (54") I would have to change all my bins to larger 54"hook height. Sterling would cost 75k with a new hook (warranty) and the international 55K. The international is tough as nails and specied for the highway dept(heavy duty).
These are obviously night and day comparissons but I am debating the bigger question which is where my business is at and where do I want it to be. If I buy the 5500 I will drive it as my everyday truck. the internatonal would be a dedicated work truck. The differnce being is I would get rid of a car payment and go to one Insurance payment. I wouldn't have to go to the yard to get my truck before picking up a bin and I could always add a larger truck down the road.

The flip side is I will be the one driving the truck and not be moving to a full time driver as a business model and giving up the business that I might be able to get with a heavier lift Concrete, dirt, roofing. I have always survivied in business by keeping low overhead and staying innovative.

I debate the pros and cons all day, I have made list and changed my mind every couple of days. If that sterling truck showed up today it would be over but until then I still debate....

Bins glad to hear the weights aren't too much, keeps the costs down for everybody

Attachments

• 2003 Intl 7400 sa axle rolloff 001 (1).jpg
    2003 Intl 7400 sa axle rolloff 001 (1).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,253

bins

I understand your debate. I still question myself on my choice. I did not want to go over 33k gvw b.c then we have to pay a 12% FET when we buy the truck. Right now my F-750 is only getting 7.5 mpg. Diesel is going for $3.25.

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
I'll let you know which route I go when the time comes. I am leaning towards the Sterling, but time will tell. "6DoubleDuece" says he's getting around 9mpg on the international >guys on the diesel forums seem to be reporting as low as 10 and as high as 19mpg on their 6.7 cummins. The only other option is to go to a hino, but you seem to pay one way or another!

Hey Bins! Since you are just getting started I'll share with you my best promotional investment yet. I have tried advertising and flyers but I ordered these from a company in North Carolina and I give them out to the crews when i drop a bin (a good handfull) costs me about 12 cents each. So for a few bucks each time... you wound't believe the miles those pencils have traveled...

Attachments

• pencil.jpg
    pencil.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 2,081

6DoubleDuece

Hey Brett,

Things have been crazy these last few weeks!

As far as the truck debate goes, What truck and lift are you running now?

Thanks
Brenden

bins

Where did you get those pencils? The ones I see online are going for about
23 cents each.

bins

Did those pencils work out really well for you? How many did you order? Trying to decide how many I want.

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
Bins,

I started with 2500 and gave then out 3-5 at a time. Figuring they get passed around, dropped and re-used. If it didn't leed to direct calls then it al least got my name out and remembered. How mant times would a carpenter/builder/drywaller look at there pencil in a given day/week/month. That pencil may not be around when it's time to order a bin but they will likely remember your name.

Just watch the shipping charges on the pencils they were 30 pounds per box.

How are things going for you? Have you been able to take the time to sell your product or are you still buried in trying to run the basics of the business? I have found it hard to get out there and sell, when things slow down I am busy just catching up.

Any way hope things are good, I know how much work it is and what's on the line.

imjustdave

Mini Bin

Just read your post on the Sterling truck option, personally I would get a 5500 over the 4500 price wise there close, and going up to 26K over 19 is alot.
but maybe its my feeling of bigger is better syndrom... :eek:

So I read you web site, and have been reading this thread. I would really like to learn more about your bisness and how it is working out with the smaller truck. Which market area do you focus on? I see you have a concrete box do you find that it isn't big enough? Do you haul dirt? Would love to see some of your rates.
I'm just South of you in WA state, and have been contimplating getting a hooklift but at the other extream in size.... my dream truck is a tandom axle maybe with a drop. I have an excavation buisness, and have been thinking of using a drop box to haul my skid steer and min ex, but to do that I need a tandom, and then I could allways get a trailer for even larger equipment. So truck would be hauling, boxes, and maybe something else..

Thanks
Dave

Bentworker2

Occupation
Substation Electrician
No dodge here, but I can tell you that I would not buy a coil sprung Ford 4wd F450 or F550.

I drive an 05 F550 4X4 with a box and workshop inside, weighs about 14,900. GVW is 18,XXX.

At work we have a fleet of these trucks, all of the 04's that have a leaf sprung front end. The leaf sprung trucks don't have a very tight turning radius, but they handle very well at freeway speeds.

The coil sprung 05 F550's and newer are HORRIBLE on the freeway. The trucks are very sensitive to ridges in the roadway, there is a section of I5 that I travel at least once a week where I can get a full lane line to lane line death wobble, so I travel that section in the passing lane. It is far worse when I have my studded snow tires on, in the summer I run grooved Yokohama's in the front just to keep me on the road. The other thing is that the Powerstroke 6.0 does all sorts of strange things, it keeps on running however.

I think you made a good choice with the dodge.