• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody convert bumper pull trailer to gooseneck?

colson04

Anybody ever converted one over? I know people have before and a good welder/fab shop could do it, just debating whether it's worth it.

Trailer in question is a 14,000# GVWR 20' tag equipment trailer that I don't like how it pulls. Empty you don't notice it. Loaded lite or heavy it will jerk and bounce the truck something awful. It has a pintle hitch, which might be part of the problem. Not sure, I've never towed a trailer this light with a pintle. I've had the trailer for 6 years and I'm in it pretty cheap so spending up to $2000 to fab a new hitch would still keep me in a good spot cost wise. The frame and deck is solid, brakes are new. Needs a little bit of electrical work, but nothing excessive.

I can't find similar spec'd, used, gooseneck for sale locally that is as solid as this trailer is. Buying new isn't an option. Too expensive for a unit that doesn't get used enough.

I think this trailer would be a good candidate for converting over, but I'm not totally convinced I guess. I am still looking at used gooseneck, but if nothing pops up in 4-6 weeks, I'll be seriously looking at converting this one.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Why don't you convert to a ball and add a weight distributing hitch? What are you hauling and how is the weight distribution? What are you pulling it with?

colson04

Truck is a 2008 F-350.

Loads vary...skid steer, lumber, pallets of material, logs, etc. It gets used for a lot of things.

I had thought about swapping pintle for a ball, but I'm thinking the hitch height would be too high. Never investigated it too far.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
It just seemed like a cheaper option to help with the tongue weight which is what i assumed was giving you problems. I was also suspect of the towing vehicle and i am still not convinced that a tongue heavy 14k trailer isn't alot behind a f350.

Old Doug

I did it to a trailer i bought 20 + years ago. I bought it knowing i was going to make a gooseneck out of it but back then trailers were hard to find and i didnt have much money also i did all the work.I dont how the market is were you live but i would sell what you have and buy something. Something must be wrong with your setup it should work good.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
....maybe the truck needs new shocks, since it's an 08 if their OE then they're shot;)

Bumper pulls always bounce more than goosenecks, if I put a 3-4 ton load behind my p/u with a two axle 14k car hauler and not much tongue weight it likes to bob around... so usually I try to put the load so my trucks rear leafs are on the overloads.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I own both, a 18' bumper pull(misnomer as my truck has a Class 4 receiver hitch), car hauler type trailer, heavier frame and supports for heavy point load loads. Tires on it are Load range E 15" so can pull considerable weight does have brakes both axles. then I have a 24' gooseneck single wheel, has Load range F 16" tires better load capacity, more lugs to heavier hubs and brakes, use it for my farm machines primarily but has its place for extra long materials.