1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Any pictures of what would pull this trailer?

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by DaveVB, Aug 27, 2009.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB Active Member

Maintenance Tech at Private Bible College
  2. rigandig

rigandig Well-Known Member

DaveVB, I'd have to say that is a "purpose' built trailer. Probably for the military or NASA. And it would have had a Prime Mover to hook to it also.
    Just my .02 worth

3. Serv

Serv Senior Member

Looks like a PIA to change those inside tires. My friend has something like that in Mexico but it's only a two axle. He just uses a regular truck to haul it. Here's some pics

Attached Files:

4. daugherty102

daugherty102 Well-Known Member

Equipment operator
    if u look at the picture that is a straight on rear view to the right of this trailer there's a second one and to the left there's a prime mover.

5. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    :confused::confused:

Theres a normal semi hooked up in the pictures...:beatsme

6. oversize

oversize Well-Known Member

low loader driver
    Take your pick of tractor unit does not need any special truck to haul it, Where I work we have trailers like this working every day

7. DaveVB

DaveVB Active Member

Now, I no longer drive truck but.....

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put 250 tons on that trailer and pull it with a normal road tractor as it sits in the picture. I am sure it is special purpose built, but with no evidence of a jeep and the way it is angled up in the back (due to the way it is configured, a higher fifth wheel height than normal) I figured it would take a little bit more than a freightliner to pull it loaded.
    While I admire the pictures included of the lowboy, I don't think it compares to the one I posted.
    Well, nevermind. I thought it was a cool trailer and it would take a monster truck to pull it, but the professionals say otherwise.
    Have a good day. DaveVB

8. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator

Attached Files:

9. Noose

Noose Well-Known Member

O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
    The C 500 series from Kenworth is a popular heavy hauler. Even though it is a Kenworth. Other than that a lot of custom trucks are adapted.

10. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

They may have pulled 300 tons with the old GI truck, but I bet they did not pull it far or fast.

A Pacific, Hayes, or a big Mack or Autocar heavy haul rig with planetary rears and 14.00 X 20 or bigger rubber would be my choice.

11. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    That truck is a MACK

12. rigandig

rigandig Well-Known Member

DaveVB, While that was probably ordered with a purpose in mind, it was probably used for short moves over the time they owned it, like from a barge site to destinantion and that type of move. The company that owned it, Deep South Cranes, definitely has the prime movers to hook to it with. Their inventory shows a Cline and a KW. It doesn't mention the Mack/Army truck, so that supports the link showing it for sale. They also have numerous other trailer options available in their inventory that pretty much place that trailer in the "old and outdated" fleet.

13. DaveVB

DaveVB Active Member

Thanks rigandig!!!
    Nice looking Mack also!

14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Member

Former Truck Driver, Now Journeyman Auto Mechanic
    Odd enough of a name, but up here, we call those trucks "Desert Sows"

Here are some by Marcep Manufacturing out of Stony Plain, Alberta

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hendrik

Hendrik Senior Member

16. 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder Member

There was a similar trailer used in PSNS to move large sections, reactor and engine room sections for subs within the shipyard. IIRC, they used a yard tug to move it, but it sounded like it was spinning pretty fast for the road speed it was going.