• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any ideas in shipping 10 wheeler from new orleans to sf bay area?

1newbie

No extra legal permits needed, but needs lowboy due to height. Most uship quotes involve driving it, which is a pain due to not having the permits and questionable if it would pass a DOT inspection and I don't enjoy a redtag at 3:00am at some inspection station in middle of nowhere.....

trucker1

About 5 years ago, I bought my current tractor in southern Indiana, wanted to drive it back to southern Maine. I called the state DMV to ask if I could do it on a "hunters permit" or a "trip permit" as I have operating authority in the New England states, but not for where I would be driving. They told me to get a Transit Plate, like a temporary plate you get when you buy a car from the dealer. It is good for 15 days, and covered me for any state I would be driving in. It cost $12. I got mine at the local town office, as they do state registrations there, don't know about your state, but call or go to wherever you have to go to get a registration. You will need the Vin number, proof of insurance, so you have to call your insurance company and put it on your policy before you get the plate, where the trip starts, and where it ends, and they want to know the route, but they just put on "most direct route", meaning you can't pick up the truck in New Orleans, and visit your sister in New York state on your way home. You do not have to have an inspection sticker on the vehicle, but make sure everything IS up to snuff before traveling, IE, lights, tires, etc. Also, you cannot be carrying a load, or getting compensated while you are traveling. I went thru half a dozen weigh stations on a Fri afternoon, and they just kinda look at you, put the cardboard plate in the windshield on the passengers side and go for it. The truck I had bought had no mufflers on it, so I just drove real easy thru the station and kept on going.

George

1newbie

I'll ask my dmv about that one. I drove the truck from FL to LA with a california temporary permit. First inspection station in FL; I was told that 'CA permit don't mean shti out here'. Trip went down hill from there........