1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Any ideas for a concrete bollard covering??? wrap, spray, sak, trowel???

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Ronsii, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    We got a job that will require making these column bollards look better... they have been hammered by forklifts for the last 20 years or so... they still have the sonotube on them from when they were poured... it's torn up in spots and they cut the 36 inch by 72 inch tall sonotube in half down the length then spliced it with a 6 inch strip of sonotube cardboard down the side with screws...which leaves a big long 1/4" indent... and the actual pour looks like they didn't really vibrate or even tap the tube much if at all.... forgot to get a close up pic...

So I was wondering if anyone here has done something similar to cover/coat these things??? to make them a bit more aesthetically pleasing :) or just any ideas of what might work to wrap them... plastic, metal, etc...??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
    PS-column-bollard2.JPG PS-column-bollard1.JPG

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Thought from left field. Spray-on truck bed liner material..?

Ronsii likes this.
  3. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Good idea :) I mentioned that to the boss while we were looking at them... unfortunately I saw some pretty big crevices on a few of them that had some sonotube torn off in places, so would probably have to sak or trowel them first with some patch...

4. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

So you want a coating that will stick to cardboard, look nice, and stand up to forklift collisions? :D

Best I can do is synthetic stucco, a latex fortified cement product, brush it on and it will flex enough to cover imperfections and not shatter off when hit with a forklift. If the cardboard it rough or raised on the edges, try a knotted wire wheel on a grinder to even it out, or maybe just sanding disks.

Ronsii likes this.
  5. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Senior Member

Be careful with the bed liner . Most of that is isocyanate based and quite nasty. Should really be sprayed in a booth and you should have a supplied air respirator.

The synthetic stucco sounds interesting. Might have a use for that myself if it would hold up outdoors.

Ronsii likes this.
  6. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    E660066E-9E96-48A7-8A0A-74DDBCE556C5.jpeg

Ronsii likes this.
  7. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

^^^^ I like it :) if that would cover the hollows and pockets in the concrete it would be great!!!

Right now we're kinda leaning towards galv. sheet metal wrapped and banded... probably screwed down an overlapping seam too... It would be fairly quick to install - would look smooth, is paintable.

I wonder if you can get yellow HDPE/PE or similar in 6'x10' sheets about 1/8th inch thick maybe thinner???

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  8. skata

skata Senior Member

Does the cardboard tube come off easy? I'd probably use some fine Cement patch or thinset and just rub it over the whole surface and use a sponge to smooth out. Then paint. Or find a stucco guy.

Delmer and Ronsii like this.
  9. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Ronsii likes this.
  10. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Hard to say if it comes off easy??? really didn't try was mainly looking... pulled in a few spots that were torn just enough to expose lots of air pockets :( ... don't know if they sprayed a release agent on first... highly doubt it... as I believe they were planning on leaving the cardboard on permanently.
    First thing we discussed was patch an sak but just a rough guess on these things looked like a lot of hours to do that however it may end up that way as it is the normal convention with concrete walls. Oh how I'd like to find a guy that could spray concrete/stucco on like they do on build-up walls.

11. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

12. NepeanGC

NepeanGC Well-Known Member

#dirtherder
    I'd pull the cardboard tubes off, and parge them. Cheap, easy fast. Probably under an hour per bollard.

13. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce Senior Member

Hammered by forklifts... There used to be a tug boat fender guy about a mile north of The Chateau St. Michelle gates. Could call Scougal Rubber they used to be off Airport down by the Rainier/Tully digs and see what they have. Protected and ok looking.

Ronsii likes this.
  14. Chewie2105

Chewie2105 Member

Mother Deuce and Bls repair like this.
  15. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

16. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Yeah, They come in red too ;) we've had them in other warehouses I repaired things in... like this one where a guy backed a 5k lifttruck into a column and shifted it about an inch... made the whole building shake!!! guys in the office thought the building got hit by a truck:eek:
    red-plastic-column-protection1.jpg

If you look closely in the first pics you notice that one of the columns is different than the rest...it got completely rammed out a few years ago... even broke the giant gluelam beam on the roof... dropped the roof over a foot:eek: very expensive fix ;)
    different-column1.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    CM1995 likes this.
  17. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

18. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

I figured a quite a bit more than that all said and done to fill all the possible voids and cavities plus the indent strip I know about will take quite a bit of patch... and then paint them too..

19. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Hmmmm, wonder how wide of conveyor belting I could get????

20. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

If you want to go with rubber, we have a company around here that deals is rubber and gaskets and hydraulic hoses and tubing only. I bet they have at least 6’ wide rubber for making gaskets. I am sure there is something similar you way.