1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Any Hemi owners here???

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Kxnate, May 20, 2019.

1. WaterDoc

WaterDoc Well-Known Member

Complete water system disinfection services
    I get a shop to do it.
    Not particularly. My truck is also a Power Wagon, so it's got the big rubber and it is 2" higher than a standard 2500. Most 6.4L guys on the Ram forums are getting 10-12mpg.
    Mine has MDS. I find no difference in economy when it runs. I've run tanks of fuel through the truck with the MDS defeated and got the same hand calculated mileage.

Kxnate likes this.
  2. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Have to watch the year of the hemi, my brother has a 2010 I believe (not sure if it's the 6.4) only had 50k miles on it motor didn't last a few months before replacing cam, that lasted only a few months before the whole thing blew. Replacement was from a newer truck and ok so far. Tows around 15k once in awhile and you know it's there but it gets it done. It's a 3500 CC though, so different then the pickup versions. If you're towing really rarely, it might be ok, but regular towing i'd stick with a diesel. Having say that, it's the only gasser he owns and regrets it 100%. It eats fuel like no tomorrow it costs more to run then the diesels, and the cost of the engine was a lot.

As far as extra $10k for a diesel, look at the used prices of trucks, you will get that back at resale, maybe more. 2500/3500 hemis here are worthless no one wants a gas in a heavy pickup. Some companies went to gas because it's cheaper if they abuse them like not warming up, etc. For someone with their own truck it's a lot different.

GregsHD and Mobiltech like this.
  3. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    The common remark about a hemi is {it's got a hole in it}.

4. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    So I have a 201 5.7 hemi in a 2500 with 181k on the clock that I have driven since less than 100 miles. For a hauling truck and running around I'm happy with it. For towing, eh, the mileage is pretty awful. I am however considering a new 3500 with a 6.4 and that new 8 speed transmission. The price is one of the biggest factors and the fact that I don't run the truck everyday anymore. It's basically my at home work vehicle since I have a beater for a commuter.

5. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    I’ve always wondered why so many people are hung up on the extra purchase price of the diesel when the resale value pretty much zeros that out.
    Fuel economy from the gas to the diesel can be huge if you make a lot of miles especially comparing a 5.9 Cummins to a gas 6.4 or 5.7.

6. Tim Burke

Tim Burke Well-Known Member

I've got a '15 2500 Power Wagon w/ a 6.4. The only thing that stops it is gas stations. I can keep it in the high 15s on the highway, but stop & go takes it down to 14 and change. Towing anything significant will drive it down to 10-12ish.

Kxnate and redneckracin like this.
  7. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

When I buy it will be new as I want the 8 speed trans, and used truck pricing is flat stupid. I do not tow all the time, just occasionally. I do not care about resale value as this will most likely be my last pickup until i retire or awfully close to it no more miles than i put on my trucks. I am perfectly fine with 15ish highway and 10ish towing as that is about all my 5.9 Cummins gets. Best I have ever seen from it, empty, highway, hand calculated is 16.75mpg. I have tried tuners, I have tried exhaust, has always been well maintained, recent injectors, it gets no better. As I have said in my past posts, I have owned my 5.9 Cummins for 10 years, I am well aware of the costs of owning a diesel not to mention the added cost up front. I want to know what guys towing experiences are with the 6.4 hemi. Thanks.

8. Axle

Axle Well-Known Member

electronics tech
    You guys arguing maintanence costs, take a look at your locations. You are comparing Canadian to US costs for items. We (Canadians) have a significantly higher parts and oil cost vs our U.S. counterparts for the exact same product.