• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

any dozers have both rippers and a wench?

dblaneyfan

I've seen a small cable winch on the front of a dozer before, nothing stout, though. I've never seen or heard of a winch mounted inside a ripper frame, though.

Scrub Puller

Yair...A hydraulic winch does not have to be "wimpy''and yes I have seen a hydraulic recovery winch mounted on a D7F. It was a removable mount and pinned to the main beam using the centre shank hole of the ripper.

They were clearing power lines in very steep coastal country and the tractors lube systems had been modified to run at extreme angles as well as an hydraulics upgrade to run the winch. The winch had a planetary reduction and (I think) a five cylinder radial motor and was capable of snigging the tractor backwards with locked tracks. The tractor had a twenty five foot lift tree pusher mounted on the angle blade and the winch worked out pretty well for balance.

This was way back in the early days of hydraulics and I believe an equivalent modern design would be simpler, lighter and possibly cheaper...no doubt you would still need deep pockets though.

Cheers.

mitch504

On this page there are several pics of a nice setup. It goes on on the next page w/ a detailed description of the way he did it. This dozer has rippers, a winch, AND a logging arch. The winch is hydraulic, but it is not wimpy.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...dland-Fire-Dozers/page2&highlight=fire+dozers

BTW, I was gonna get a wench for my dozer, but my wife said I better get a good one, cause I would soon be single if I did. :D