• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Cat M series Graders operators out there?

vapor300

how is the james group doing with there jobs on 49??? They came in there out of no where and but some bids in out of no where

vapor300

if you have a hard time keeping the machine strait its because you have a grip on the joy stick, try running it with just ur finger tips. The M's controls are so sensitive that it seems like when you run it with a full grip on the controls you always over correct

Catskinner21

Oh ok Bluetop I didn't knOw them old hands but I know that outfit got er done if those days. Vapor the job that tied into y'all there is almost complete we moved the dirt the first summer which was a year ahead of schedule . As for the other jobs south of 170 I dont think they've gotten far. Hey blue top James is not a bad company now. They bounced back after the Angelo ordeal. I enjoyed working for them but I left to chase money. Lol and closer to home

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Well we got our 14M this week,
The simulator had been here for a month and been playing with it for a while! Operation of the machine is a lot easier then the simulator. I was worried about the change but wow its a pleasure to run. I was used to our old 14H and the slop in the pins and blade. getting used to how tight the machine is and the positive controls. The only problem was the people that bought the machine put a 16 foot moleboard on the 14 and its too tight for our road. Tha being said we now have to wait for a new blade. But I love it! I look really good in new iron. Will post a pic or video later.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
What do you mean by "retarded"?(like slowed down?):beatsme
Do you just road your machine or do you operate it at high speed using all the functions?:beatsme
How fast can you "road " your M?:beatsme
Have you had any problems with your M?:beatsme

I need to know!Thanks!!:confused:

roadrunner ive operated a M for 2 yrs now and love it can drive down road 29Mph no problem i also plow snow with them at 17 mph with plow and wing and no problems its way easier then the h

dswaner

Comment on M-series cat grader

I really would like some "neutralized" feedback on these new M graders.Tell the good and the bad of what you like and dislike!
There must be more guys here that run graders or is it just the regulars doing all the posts?:beatsme
Any opinion on this topic is better than no opinion at all!

I have about 200 hrs on the 160M cat grader. i have been operating cat graders for 35 years. some of my likes are: quiet cab,good FM radio, powerful engine, adjustable implement control, right hand switch panel, push button diff lock, and quick forward and reversing. Forward blade visabilty is very good. My dislikes are: cab posts inhibit left and right vision at busy intersections, poor rear visabilty don't bother turning your head to look back. forward visabilty some what limited, cannot see what the front tires are going to run over. Windows fog really bad in rain, snow conditons the one small vent on the upper left is not enough, fan helps. The biggest dislike of all is what I call the liquid steering system. At slow speeds you can't steer straight to save your butt. All hydraulic systems stop moving when you release the lever (joystick). Bump the steering joy stick left or right and wheels will continue moving even after you completely let go. I am getting better at steering , but it is really distracting.

teamlayton

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Opperator for the M.D. Of Pincher
I have operated them for 2 years now.The big thing I don't like when you stall out have to reset park brake nothing will work.So if you stall going up a hill plowing snow,she stalls out your sliding back down just along for the ride.

Turf1

I have operated them for 2 years now.The big thing I don't like when you stall out have to reset park brake nothing will work.So if you stall going up a hill plowing snow,she stalls out your sliding back down just along for the ride.
I have over 4000 hrs. on this awesome machine, the ONLY issue I have is be careful not to stall it pulling out into traffic or over railroads and such, you are right teamlayton,take it out of forward or reverse...set parking brake, turn off key (read a book) and then restart.

JOHN140

In earlier post nige mentioned hydraulics on m series can be tuned to increase decrease the sensitivity of the controls in response to catskinners steering comment. The only adjustment I know of is the fine normal course adjustment in messenger but this only affects lift controls. Solenoid calibration doesn’t give any adjustment as far as I know. Would be very helpful to know more about this.

20/80

Occupation
operator
The steering on the early M's had to be upgraded, they were crazy fast to any movements with the joystick, roading was scary, our early 2008 M got a steering software upgrade download I believe twice, it steers nice now, my new 150awd gets software upgrades twice a month it seems.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In earlier post nige mentioned hydraulics on m series can be tuned to increase decrease the sensitivity of the controls in response to catskinners steering comment. The only adjustment I know of is the fine normal course adjustment in messenger but this only affects lift controls.
That was my mistake. I was mixing up the ability to adjust for the hydraulic oil viscosity on the M-Series graders using ET (an upgrade from about 2010 IIRC) and the sensitivity of the lift function that is adjusted via Messenger and ended up making a hash of it.
The steering on the early M's had to be upgraded, they were crazy fast to any movements with the joystick, roading was scary, our early 2008 M got a steering software upgrade download I believe twice
The M-Series steering sensitivity was changed so that it was proportional to ground speed. The faster the machine travels the less sensitive the steering becomes. A couple of extracts from the service documentationare what I think 20/80 is referring to.

From Oct 2009 - This machine is equipped with speed sensitive steering. As the ground speed of the machine increases the maximum permissible angle of the front wheels is reduced. An increase in ground speed will cause a decrease in the steering angle without any joystick movement during steering.
From Dec 2009 - The joystick steering control sensitivity has been changed significantly for the machine operation while above fourth gear. The joystick steering control sensitivity has been decreased for small joystick angles. The joystick steering control sensitivity has been increased at larger joystick angles.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I wondered what that would be like. Our 980 was crazy to drive on the road. I took it from our shop to the C&D site we look after, about 3 miles, and I'm sure if someone had seen me they would have thought I was drunk

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I wondered what that would be like. Our 980 was crazy to drive on the road. I took it from our shop to the C&D site we look after, about 3 miles, and I'm sure if someone had seen me they would have thought I was drunk
Township next to me got one of the first M Series. For the first week he wouldn't road it in high gear. Was too afraid of the steering. About the time he finally accepted it, CAT started doing upgrades. :)

He had 25 hrs on it and I asked how he was getting along. He said "I just wanna burn it". Now he swears by it and wouldn't want to run anything else.

I applaud technological advances. But they shouldn't cause undue and dangerous stress to the operator. They should quickly become an asset the operator doesn't want to be without.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The new Mauldin 415 they ordered me has a single joystick. It concerns me. My 940 Volvo has the antler rack, and the other maintainer graders we have run traditional, or what I consider traditional controls.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The new Mauldin 415 they ordered me has a single joystick. It concerns me. My 940 Volvo has the antler rack, and the other maintainer graders we have run traditional, or what I consider traditional controls.
I want to see pics of this!!!! Please post pics and narrative when you get it. How could you possibly get all those functions on one stick?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
http://www.4amauldin.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/M415XT-Operation-200203-v2-003.pdf This is the link they sent with the manual when I asked about the controls when they were considering buying it this spring. I think the section on controls starts on page 14. Keep in mind that on either side of my seat, there are a bank of controls
13482882_10207006713466795_7171122977956996603_o.jpg
Like this. My little girl paid me a visit while I was making a graveyard ready for pave. On her left, the first 2 levers raise and lower the MB. Next one rolls MB ahead and back. Next is side shift, and then angle. On the other hand, closest to her, lift the boom, then curl the bucket, then ripper, then the outside one with the red lock is for Aux hydraulics. The 415 has moved all this to one hand in the right