• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Cat M series Graders operators out there?

roadrunner

I really would like some "neutralized" feedback on these new M graders.Tell the good and the bad of what you like and dislike!
There must be more guys here that run graders or is it just the regulars doing all the posts?:beatsme
Any opinion on this topic is better than no opinion at all!

sdPete

Occupation
cannotpost
You have already heard from me....but here's a bit more....

Cat send out a field follow engineer the other day accompanied by Jim from Butler in Fargo who among other duties tracks all the M's sold by Butler. About 1000 M's in service now, Jim said no work stopping failures yet, I didn't think to ask if that was the ones sold by Butler or all sold by Cat. A couple issues with cab doors to attend to, new seals and glass fit inspection as some crack the glass. Tier 4 engines likely the only change on the horizon. They have machines running in Canada in COLD weather and performance is fine. Some discussion about going to a colder temp rated hydraulic fluid on machines order with snow arrangement.

They did note initial resistance by seasoned operators to M series machines, too much change. There were also several stories from those same fellows who begrudgingly put in a day on the seat, returned to the shop and swallowed their objections. A few more days and many decided against early retirement. I kind of know the feeling, you get pretty good at running what you've got, then this comes along, what were they thinking? The first days on the seat you go at it with skepticism, find that fatal flaw, tell them to get it right. But after a while it becomes obvious the problem is me, not the machine, they got it right. Be careful what you say, some words don't taste too good when you have to eat them.

1000 M's running, how many of those drivers are on the web, how many of those hang out here, how many of those read but don't post.... There might not be a lot of activity for a while, give it time.

roadrunner

Thanks for your feedback as always sdPete I appreciate it!
I think every "new" machine has little problems until figured out from service guys just as long as the dealer acknowledges the operators problems and promptly deals with it! I really do hope the M series turns out to be real good for Cat!!---- to give VOLVO some competition!!

Tee Hee!

sdPete;Keep on telling your experiences with your M please when you get time!:) Thanks again... :drinkup

cread

I just got back from a class on them and I have to say that they are very well thought out. Some little issues here and there but I guess there some around here with over 2500 hrs and still running strong. There are about 90 of them in the Colorado, New Mexico area. The only problem people are having is getting use to how touchy the steering is at roading speeds but
I herd CAT is playing with some computer programing to make that better and if and when that comes out I sure CAT reflash the ECM for free and it only takes a few mins. They are awsome if anyone has a chance to play in one do it they are so fun!!!

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I was at Toromont Cat a week ago pricing a 430 backhoe and asked the salesman what he knew about the M series. He said he is getting one in about a week and doesn't have any brochures yet. He said the only complaint he has heard with them is on high speed applications like plowing and roading, the operators are complaining of lots of steering drift, especially when windy. He said they are working on making the steering better. He said they can't be beat though for finish grading.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
I have heard that Cat is coming out with a steering wheel attachment for the new M's. Is this just rumor or has anybody else heard this? I personally would think not.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Stearing wheel?
I've heard rumors they limit the speed over here because the lack of one.(ministery of workinspection)
Where did u hear that? I bet there is something in it!...

WILDCAT

H series 2 vs M series

I have seen demonstrations of the new M series grader, and on three separate occassions I have operated the M series grader. My concerns are lack of visibility of the front wheels as well as behind the machine. The application that I use graders in, is placing pavement between curb with tight tollerances for levels. How does the 140M compare to a 140H series 2? (Does the M make the day easier or require more concentration?)

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
:eek:Sorry I can't give any input on this one, I only ran graders from the stone age! G series is as close as I got!:notworthy

roadrunner

I was at Toromont Cat a week ago pricing a 430 backhoe and asked the salesman what he knew about the M series. He said he is getting one in about a week and doesn't have any brochures yet. He said the only complaint he has heard with them is on high speed applications like plowing and roading, the operators are complaining of lots of steering drift, especially when windy. He said they are working on making the steering better. He said they can't be beat though for finish grading.

I just got back from a class on them and I have to say that they are very well thought out. Some little issues here and there but I guess there some around here with over 2500 hrs and still running strong. There are about 90 of them in the Colorado, New Mexico area. The only problem people are having is getting use to how touchy the steering is at roading speeds but
I herd CAT is playing with some computer programing to make that better and if and when that comes out I sure CAT reflash the ECM for free and it only takes a few mins. They are awsome if anyone has a chance to play in one do it they are so fun!!!

I have not run the M yet but could foresee the steering issue at high speeds or roading being a problem along time ago.The reason I say this is I used to run a "Tanguay" slasher in the bush logging and it had joystick steering.When you roaded it, it was difficult to go in a straight line the faster you went. Mind you it probably was not as good as the new M steering but still run by joystick/hydralic.MKTEF has a Volvo with sticks and steering wheel for Legalized roading.:)
I just cannot see CAT being able to fix this issue unless they also put a wheel in for highspeeding as well!

OilFieldHand

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I have run those new M blades for a while now. I road them all the time, once you start to click through the gears the steering becomes retarded. Makes it pretty easy to road the M series. I doubt there will be a steering wheel "attachment"

roadrunner

What do you mean by "retarded"?(like slowed down?):beatsme
Do you just road your machine or do you operate it at high speed using all the functions?:beatsme
How fast can you "road " your M?:beatsme
Have you had any problems with your M?:beatsme

I need to know!Thanks!!:confused:

OilFieldHand

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yes, the steering speed slows down as you drive faster. (slower reaction time)

The Highest gear I blade in is about top of 4th or bottom of fifth on straights. I run up on the mountains with drops of up to 250ft on one side of the road.

The M series is just like older graders, It has 6 gears. I have not opened it up all the way being as im on windy roads. Id say the fastest ive gone is about 28-30mph. With no problem at those speeds.

The only problem we have had is one morning it would not start. CAT sent a field tech out to fix the problem. He said that the hot wire to the starter just plugs in, at ours came unplugged. Simple fix but the only problem we have had.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Just wondering if Cat changed the transmission because all the older ones were 8 forward and 6 reverse.28 -30 mph should be top speed as well, or am I wrong here?

12MINE

Occupation
Grader Owner operator
1 12m

Arrived wednesday i new 12M 14 foot blade accumulators extra lights radial tyres,first 2 hours this isnt to bad then out onto the road and up the other end of the job.WHAT an expericence,left right left right barrier on one side cars on the other nervous wreck when i got to the other end.Then we do some trim work ya might as well called it bulk earthworks,not up to my usual standard but close enough for today.Day 2 try again cant seem to trim for love or money hate it what the hell have i brought! Day 3 of to another job to trim for curb mind you i did have to road it,went the back way got into 8th and not to bad,trim for curd and spread some rock,things are looking up ,this isnt to bad starting to get a feel for this. Day 4 finish a road off between curb im thinking you are joking,result all done and perfect in less time the my old 12H,still getting used to it,just be gentle with your movements and not heavy handed it is very tiring on the brain box but thats only cause things are in different spots you just have to retrain your head,visibility is just as good as a H they change the cover on the goose neck from what was on the demo 140M much better now and OH YES CAT I want my money back for the inching pedal,its either on or of pain in the but,and would i go back to a H.............NO!:Banghead

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
I have no problems roading my 12M...now. First 100 miles were a little scary, but now, wide open / full speed. After 900 hours my biggest problem with the machine is transmission shifting. When you're roading up hills you don't need your tractor to go suddenly into 8th gear! Thats what mine does anyway. Shifting between 4th and 5th always has a knock.

I went through a stage of really hating this machine. Now I can tolerate it. Nice and cool inside and more comfortable to run, but I still miss the old controls!