• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have always been amazed at the different color schemes on logging trucks. I've never worked for a truck dealer so wonder where those designs and color combinations come from? Are they done at the factory or at the dealer? I know there used to be some independent painters but never heard of any that advertised their skills. Given all the regulations placed on paint booths and the cost of supplies, its a wonder that they all aren't just one color from the factory.

Truck Shop

KW had two main graphics for paint schemes for years. Heiser in Seattle did a lot
of after dealer painting. But now it's gone to vinyl stripes.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I have always been amazed at the different color schemes on logging trucks. I've never worked for a truck dealer so wonder where those designs and color combinations come from? Are they done at the factory or at the dealer? I know there used to be some independent painters but never heard of any that advertised their skills. Given all the regulations placed on paint booths and the cost of supplies, its a wonder that they all aren't just one color from the factory.

Here in Washington locally, King and Pierce Counties both quit having "fleet" colors done about 10 years ago, they just take next one "off the shelf color schemes." According to the retired Pierce County wrench I know, that saved them close to $5000 per truck. (10 or so years ago.)
If you have the inclination and the money, factories will paint anything for you. Drive by KW's delivery yard in Renton and you will see some very cool units and some gawd awful units. There is no accounting for artistic taste.

Truck Shop

One of the oddities I performed years ago {mainly in high school} freehand sign
lettering with my dad in his sign shop. I did it for years after he died until 1992.
Vinyl signs about put a total end to the business. It just wasn't worth the cost
of the 1 Shot lettering enamel and the cost of the lettering Quills/brushes.
Most of the quills I had were left overs from the shop and hand tied Russian Mink.
You can't buy quills like that today. If you could it would cost a fortune/sort of.
My dads forte was gold leaf-for a short time after WWII he gold leafed new
fire trucks. There are several tricks to do a quality 24 carat gold leaf job. Not
something for the average sign painter.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I watched a fellow once freehanding pinstripes, now I suppose that is pretty straight forward, I don't know. But, I could never imagine how steady he was. It was pretty darned amazing. To freehand lettering is beyond comprehension.

Truck Shop

One of the best freehand lettering and pinstripe guys plus nationally famous for air brush murals
was Pomeroy in Yakima Wa. He was one of the top van muralist back in the 70's.
He always said he did his best work after he smoked a bowel.

Pin stripping brushes are very unique to hold a lot of paint. Mist experienced modify there own.

Truck Shop

I've done those, made a carriage to fit a floor jack with a ratchet strap to hold it. Obnoxious thing
to get ahold of.