• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
That would be an interesting one to find out what went wrong . Straight road flopped over on the drivers side , it looks like a pretty good road with good gravel surface . It appears the trailer tracked into the ditch and then took the truck over . The trailer "Reach" looks to have a bad bend in it . One has to wonder if that happened before or after the truck ended up in the ditch . The repair job might be more than a new mirror on the drivers side .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
stepside.JPG
That looks like the Chevy Stepside pick-up that dad got out of to go talk to the driller at the quarry one day and forgot to put the parking brake on. One of the haul truck drivers in the pit getting loaded watched as truck went off the 50 + foot face and did a nose dive to the quarry floor. Haul truck driver was too scared to go check out the truck!

mekanik

Those Kenworth bring back memories. In the early 80's I was the young guy in the shop. I was always the one they sent out in the service truck to deal with breakdowns. I didn't mind the overtime the money was good. Back then when someone needed help they radioed in on the VHF radio system. It could connect with the telephone system but it was not clear.
In the 1978 Canada went metric. Kenworth had problems with the quality of their frame bolts which they eventually traced to counterfeit bolts. Frame bolts were breaking for no reason.
One winter day a call came in from a customer on the VHF with a new Kenworth with some broken bolts about 60 miles north on the haul road. They sent the young guy "me" with a big box of bolts and my tools to rescue him. When I got there about two hours later the truck was on the side of a road going up to the setting with the trailer loaded and both rear axles were about a hundred feet away one on each side of the road in the ditch.
The truck had Big Six suspension and the axles were held in place with torque rods. I'm not sure what let go. I told the driver "I think were going to need a tow truck" I gave the driver a ride back to town and we sent a tow truck and a Hiab truck to pick up the pieces.

Another time we got a call from a stranded log hauler about 120 miles away on the VHF that you could barely understand. He had some air lines along the frame of his new Kenworth damaged and needed someone to come and repair them. The sent me out in the service truck with a big box of fittings and several rolls of air line. The truck was plumbed with single wire braid rubber line and reusable fittings.
The driver was going up a steep grade on the mountain and was almost at the loader. He kept hearing this pinging sound as the glad hands from his pole trailer came untied from the bungee straps were hitting the drive shaft. All of a sudden the brakes came on and the air gauges went to zero. The trailer air lines got wrapped around the drive shaft and torn off then they grabbed the lines along the frame and ripped them off. It tore the air lines off all the valves at the rear of the truck the firewall and the treadle valve. The fittings were all still in place with the air lines tore out of them. The air lines were wound in a big ball around the drive shaft. I told the driver I think we are going to need a tow truck.
With the drive shaft out I tried to pull the air lines off it by chaining it to a good anchor and using the fork lift with no success. The other option was an abrasive disc on the grinder which the labor would have taken longer than a new drive shaft would have cost.

I wish I had taken pictures.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
The Hayes bear in the picture has been on my tool box for over 30 years. I took it off the drivers door of an old Hayes HD log truck that had been parted out. There were two HD's one had gold bears on it. I gave the gold one away to a guy that was a Hayes truck enthusiast. Does anyone know what the significance of the gold was?
7wULgo2.jpg
The Gold bear was to commemorate Hayes 50 years in 1972