• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any advice about a 2 axle grader.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Hey guys havent posted in a while been covered up at work. I was wanting to know if any of yall had ever run many 3 axle graders or maintainers. The reason I ask The old AC d I learned on at wok gave up her ghost. The transmission wore out and by wore out I mean all the gears were worn sharp and 2 broke. We found another later model one to replace it. The old Grader The axle trunions were broken when we took her down so we decided to scrap her. Me being sentimental I asked about buying what was left at 3 cents a pound. So I got everything but an engine and transaxle for 300 bucks. At my place I have and old Terraking broom tractor that I dont use but has a nice 50 hp Forp diesel tractor motor and a hydrostat power unit. I measured and it will all fit so now Im looking for an old axle off a 910 Loder of something similar with larder tires and planetaries. I could use a small grader around the place and like I said I couldnt bear to see the gas axe get the old girl. I know Royal, Champion, and Leeboy all made a small grader like that. Also wondering if id need to lock the diff.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sounds like a fun project. Locking the axle will depend on how hard you are going to use it. For personnel use it will probably be fine with open dif and it steer a lot better. Be sure to post some pictures and keep us updated. I run my 1937 Cat Model 11 three axle grader and also my 1952 Cat Model 212 3 axle occasionally. I don't understand the 3 axle question though. Maybe you are questioning how they are different to operate. If you do alright on a two axle you will find a three easier except they have a longer turning radius normally.

Last edited: