• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Antique Logging Tools or Machinery on Dispay

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I knew Contract ment the Washington Oregon area but its a big area , I just wanted to narrow it down a little. This sites great I'll make a list of places to poke around on our way down to Arizona and back this Winter I just hope some of them are open.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I knew Contract ment the Washington Oregon area but its a big area , I just wanted to narrow it down a little. This sites great I'll make a list of places to poke around on our way down to Arizona and back this Winter I just hope some of them are open.

Stop by Stewart's Meat Shop in Yelm, WA. Beef jerky, smoked salmon, etc. Great place, and a favorite of the local loggers. You can tell by looking at the floor. :D

Yelm is right beside the old Vail camp headquarters. Not much of it left now, sadly.

Here's another great place, if they are still open: historicbrooklyntavern.com

Also, the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits, CA if you venture down that far. I believe they have reassembled the Lidgerwood tower skidder that came from Camp Six Museum at Point Defiance. That engineering marvel started its life at Vail as Number 3 Skidder, but went to Longview long before my father came to Vail as Camp Superintendent.

http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/

camptramp

Occupation
Thanks Vigilant We usually head down 101 to just North of San Francisco then East to Sacramento then South to Arizona, visit friends that are there for the Winter then head North through Reno . This year if their open we would like to go to Santa Cruz and check out a R.R. there if its open . Any how thanks for the info , the more places we know about and support the longer they will be there

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Thanks Vigilant We usually head down 101 to just North of San Francisco then East to Sacramento then South to Arizona, visit friends that are there for the Winter then head North through Reno . This year if their open we would like to go to Santa Cruz and check out a R.R. there if its open . Any how thanks for the info , the more places we know about and support the longer they will be there

Yep. I'm thinking seriously about sending Roots of Motive Power some funds to help paint Number 3 Skidder. It has a special meaning to me.

Here's some more iron from Vail that's still running. The last operational Mallet lokie in existence.

http://www.1880train.com/locomotive110.html

Last edited:

dirty4fun

If you go to Camp 18 go hungry, as they used to anyway have great food with lots of it. The restaurant is built out of logs with a massive log ridge pole. Lots of antiques old saws and things from the timber industry.

hoechucker

Hey camp tramp, you might look into the timber heritage society to see if they're open when you come through Eureka ca.They have some cool trains and antique logging equipment.its just across the bay from Eureka.only about 5 mins from 101 right next to Somoa cook house(which is pretty cool to look around and good camp style cooking).and there's also Fort Humboldt on the south end of Eureka.it has some neat old logging displays.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Very interesting stuff.My dad was one of the founding members of the Vintage car club of Canada and heavily involved in the BC transportation museum.I grew up around vintage iron,rotten gas and hasn't run for years stuff...I have a fondness for old Iron.....I am wondering if anyone has more pics of the Diamond T logging truck at the Duncan Museum......Cory

camptramp

Occupation
Very interesting stuff.My dad was one of the founding members of the Vintage car club of Canada and heavily involved in the BC transportation museum.I grew up around vintage iron,rotten gas and hasn't run for years stuff...I have a fondness for old Iron.....I am wondering if anyone has more pics of the Diamond T logging truck at the Duncan Museum......Cory
I spend a little time around the B.C. Forset Discovery Center I'll try to find some thing , I drove it in a couple local parades this year ,God is that old girl low geared, I don't think it do'es 40 mph flat out . Unfortunatly Bill Simpson the fellow who restored the Diamond T passed away earlier this year , an amazing man even after he lost his legs to diabetes he would still come down to the BCFDC and work at a bench for part of a day doing what ever he could to help out.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Well...that's faster than the speed rating on mine.My data plate says top speed 36 mph.The original Clarke rear end had 6.33 gears and a low reving Hurcules flat head that didn't help things.I put a mid 70's Rockwell 5ton rear end it with alittle different ratio.I also put a mid 50's Brownie 3spd A-box in the truck...There seems to be quite a few Diamond T's on the Island....

I understand Mr.Simpsons desire and motivation....I am 6 months into recovery from a very bad head on collision in my f-250 (freeway speed,both trucks)I had 9 broken bones and 24 stitches to my face...Worst part was the broken pelvis (3 places)....It slowed me down but never really kept me down..Its sometimes very hard to keep someone away from what they like to do........

Pics of the D/T logger would be great.
Thanks
Cory

camptramp

Occupation
Mondays are Volunteer day at the BCFDC if I'm not hauling pebbles around town tomorrow I'll be going over to see whats going on and see if they have some pictures we can post . Check out any pictures from the Duncan Antique Truck Show I dropped it of there on the Saturday after the parade.

camptramp

Occupation
On Mondays several volunteers meet and work at several on going projects like restoring a windmill replacing sled under a yarder rebuilding a antique water pump rebuilding a covered rail car replace ties on the rail road setting up or taking down decorations for Halloween or Christmas Trains . Anybody wants to join us your more than welcome just try the office door after 8:00 AM if its not open just knock.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I'm heading off to Vancouver tomorrow - the work week begins. I'll see if I can make my self available sometime down the road.

camptramp

Occupation
Sorry diamondguy was at BCFDC today ( started to decorate for Christmas ) they don't have any pictures of D/T and the truck is put to bed for Winter , but I'll keep asking around or get pictures in Spring.

camptramp

Occupation
I hope I don't offened anyone or step on anyones toes , but I'm out of pictures for a couple of days , and as I was driving to meet a friend with a couple Western Vancouver Island INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE SOCIETY 2014 Calendar's for me,a thought ocurred to me that I had a stack of out dated calenders with lots of pictures in them . There are a couple of groups of volunteers that work dilligently to restore and maintain the logging history of the Alberni Valley and west coast of B.C. Where on the west coast can you go to see a working steam yarder or a working steam saw mill . THE ALBENI VALLEY.