• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Antique Logging Tools or Machinery on Dispay

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I remember when there were lots of those around. Like everything else, I guess they've been banned.... I had heard of an extension on the life of some in B.C., but that was quite awhile ago. I hope some get saved up here. Funny thing here in Burnaby last week - they were burning stumps and branches along the major highway construction in the city - they must have had some good bonfires going. I was in a grocery store and the women were complaining of the smell outside - I thought it was great! It reminded me of the late summer days of Vancouver Island when they used to burn slash. It beat the smell of human crap that sometimes fills the air when the dry crust layer on top of the sewage treatmant plant breaks through. Now that is one smell I can't handle.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
The smell of wood smoke in the fall and the joy of playing in granddads fir sawdust pile for the furnace. Live was good as a kid in Port.

dirty4fun

Not sure how anyone could not like the sweet smell of smoke from a wood fire. It is a smell that reminds me of the out of doors, and that means enjoyable.

skadill

Log Loader

1951 Northwest heel boom.Revelstoke B.C.summer 2010.shared pics.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 2,077
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 1,844

skadill

Yarder

Its a 1948 ,but not sure what design

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 1,809
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 1,657
  • img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,624

crisco6255

Occupation
hooktender/timbertramp
Are there any pictures of the Lidgerwood tower in California yet. seen it at camp six like to make trip to willits.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Are there any pictures of the Lidgerwood tower in California yet. seen it at camp six like to make trip to willits.

Last I checked on Google Earth, it was still in pieces at the far right end of the lot.

Last edited:

DonBC

Occupation
Retired mechanical engineer.
A friend of mine who retired from the logging industry several years ago has a strong interest in the history of the use of steam locomotives and the railroads used in the development of logging on Vancouver Island. He has been asked to give a talk on the subject and is looking for more stories and pictures from that era to add to his material. I have tried to do a search to see if there is a thread already started on this subject but there doesn't seem to be. If there is some response from my request I may start a new thread for him. He is not that comfortable with computer use. Thanks.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
This is agreat site thanks for starting it Contract ,could you give me the location of Camp 18 got to stop there next time I'm down that way. Took a weekend trip down through Port Angeles , stopped at Forks nice little Museum there . Took a ride on the Centrallia Chehalis R.R. great scenery . Took a ride on the Mt. Rainier R.R. Elbe to Mineral a really impressive shop and display of equipment at the shops at Mineral. Really good pictures of the B.C.Forest Discovery Center Murk got to hook up for coffee some time I spend a bit of time at the BCFDC volunteering. I'll take you in the back door and show you the shops.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
I think I've mentioned this before, but when I took over the warehouse at Renfrew from old Joe Weekes after he retired I noticed a lot of old parts sitting on shelves that were of absolutely no value to the division anymore, being old locomotive and other railroad related parts, so I got permission from Fred Denman, the Master Mechanic, to weed them out. I decided then to donate a few of the interesting pieces to the museum at Sooke. Should you visit there you'll still see a few of those things with me listed as the donor. I used to get invited to their open house barbecue every year after that. lol

Little tidbit for ya.

Take care.

dirty4fun

If you are talking about the Camp 18 in Oregon it is on Hwy. 26 west of Portland, about half way to the coast the closest town is Elsie.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I would like to know where the camp 18 on the begining of this thread is , I think you've just solved that question , usually my wife and I take a drive down the Oregon Coast each winter ,we'll have to take a side trip and check it out . If you have any other sugestions I would like to hear about them . Thanks for the points of interest already posted.

ValleyFirewood

I was wondering the same thing. The guy that posted made it sound like it was in Alaska when I first read it.

Not much logging around these parts other than small outfits.