• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Perkins Pukes

Bob/Ont

Steve, that sounds like the same style of engine. You need to lift the injector pump assem and unhook the rack link from the governor to take the cover off.
Later Bob

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My machine was the first 248 my local dealer sold. I'm having trouble uploading pics, but I've got a pic of the ID tag in front of me, actually there are two tags, one Perkins and one Cat.

Engine Family: YPKXL03.0UC1
Engine Type: 1991/2600
Engine List No.: 159-9214
Advertised kW: 60.2@2600RPM
Displacement: 2.9L

The Cat part number is 159-9214

The governor is comprised of 4 weights attached to the injector pump gear which push a plunger against a lever attached to the front cover. That lever has an extension that disappears into the injection pump. There's also a spring attached to the outside of the front cover that is the throttle return spring.

I got the crank loose since I posted, all the crank bearings are in good shape. The only damage is the oil pump, No. 3 rod bearing, No.4 rod and bearing and the cracked side of the block. In light of what happened, the damage could have been much worse, although broke is broke!

DGODGR

Steve, is your engine a 3 cylinder? I saw two of them seize in small rollers. The engines where Perkins, assembled in UK with parts from India. If yours is similar, has the injector pump cast into the cyl block, governor and oil pump in the front cover. Look for this when you take it apart. The one I had apart had a rotary oil pump mounted inside of one of the timing gears. The gear used a bore in the front cover as a bearing. The rotary pump was driven by three small pins, the pin holes were drilled in a groove around the bearing surface of the gear(midway along it). Look for a groove gouged in the bore of the front housing by the drive pins. There is a spiral spring wrapped around the gear and should be in the groove holding the pins in place. The one I had, the spring was pushed back against the gear teeth and not in the groove. The drive pins had nothing hard to hold them in place, they just ran against the housing bore and soon gouged out the aluminium untill they no longer could drive the pump. Then no oil pressure and seized crank.
Later Bob

He just posted about the #4 piston so I would think that the engine has at least 4 cylinders. Probabaly not the 3 banger you were talking about.

Digdeep

I'm sorry Steve....I misread your earlier post and thought you said 2.6L. 2.9/3.0L pretty much the same. CAT calls their current 3.3L engine a 3.4 even though it's only 201 cubic inches.

Bob/Ont

Thanks for the input Buddy, wana match wits with me I'll burry you any day of the week.
Later Bob

DGODGR

Thanks for the input Buddy, wana match wits with me I'll burry you any day of the week.
Later Bob

Not sure what the issue is here. Sounds as though you were offended by my post. No need to be offended. You were talking about a 3 cyl. He was talking about a 4 cyl. Based on Steve's later post the two had similar components though.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not sure what the "match wits" issue is myself, altogether confused myself, but I trust it becomes a "non-issue" in due course as this issue seems (to me) to be irrelavent to this thread. :beatsme

ih100

Cat did fit some Perkins 2.6 litre engines into 216 skid steers, it isn't a Shibaura/Perkins, but has the same Zexel pump sitting in a pocket. These engines, the 700 series, were very reliable and torquey, with none of the suction tube or head gasket issues of the smaller mills. There was also a 3.0 Litre version, never come across a 2.9 but it maybe the larger engine fell midway and was badged as a 2.9 by Cat and a 3.0 by Perkins. Apart from the injector pump these engines were totally different from the 2.2's, only being replaced by the (Mitsubishi) 3 litre (Perkins designation 800-series) due to emissions law, as it was virtually impossible to make the 700 meet legislation.

DGODGR

I think that knowing which engine, exactly, that Steve has would be very beneficial. This info, along with others' first hand experiences, will help the reader determine if this particular engine may be troublesome, or if Steve's is a somewhat islolated case. I, and I'm sure Steve, would also like to know if he has any, possibly more reliable, options for replacement. Steve has given the ID badge info. Can't anybody tell us eactly what engine he's dealing with?

Bob/Ont

Sorry for flipping out at you Dgodgr, just took message the wrong way. My post may have sounded stupid to some but I am working from past experiance not a liberary. I believe Steve's engine is similar to the one I spoke of Two seized one result of assembley The tag on the replacement engine said it's a 5000 Hr engine.
Later Bob

ih100

I think that knowing which engine, exactly, that Steve has would be very beneficial. This info, along with others' first hand experiences, will help the reader determine if this particular engine may be troublesome, or if Steve's is a somewhat islolated case. I, and I'm sure Steve, would also like to know if he has any, possibly more reliable, options for replacement. Steve has given the ID badge info. Can't anybody tell us eactly what engine he's dealing with?

Just looked at the I.D. Info, it is a Cat-badged Perkins 700 series, 3.0 litre displacement. Sounds like it's suffering from a porous block. Ps, this didn't come from a library, either.

Bob/Ont

Just looked at the I.D. Info, it is a Cat-badged Perkins 700 series, 3.0 litre displacement. Sounds like it's suffering from a porous block. Ps, this didn't come from a library, either.
The one I worked on was cast of grey iron, very crumbley, not the good cast you would expect in a Perkins.
Later Bob

ih100

Perkins have used several casting suppliers, normally there's no problem with them until a rod decides to show you the quality of the casting. I've seen porosity and sand inclusions in some blocks where the engine has been stripped for some unrelated reason, and it's caused no problem at all. I've also seen rods punch through some of the best quality castings imaginable.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My machine is a 2000 model, the engine is tagged as being built in 1999. Perhaps someone with a later model 246 or 248 can post their engine info, the tag is located on the intake manifold. I'm curious if there was an engine model change before they switched to Mitsubishi?

There doesn't appear to be a defect in the block, and I believe the rod broke as a result of the loss of oil pressure. What does concern me is why the cover plate to the oil pump broke, it's almost perfectly broken where it makes a 90 degree bend. I didn't notice it at first it was such a clean break. Once I figure out the resizing problem with the site here I'll post pics.

Bob/Ont

The break is clean, the edges of the break are not polished like they had been rubbing against each other.

Stress cracks leave a smooth surface for more than 75% of the break and when they get far enough across the small remaining piece will fracture and leave a surface like sand paper. Does your piece of metal look like that.
Later Bob

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
No. As I stated, the break is a clean fracture, it fits back together to the point you can hardly see the crack. The entire circumference is like sandpaper.