1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Another Perkins Pukes

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by Steve Frazier, Dec 28, 2010.

1. motrack

motrack Charter Member

field service tech
    Interesting reading on those China built Perkins engines.

2. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

Thanks guys, this info gives me more ammo to go at the dealer with.

3. motrack

motrack Charter Member

field service tech
    Steve...... just for ****s and giggles can you see the tag on you engine? I was wondering where that engine was built.

4. Z'mnypit

Z'mnypit Active Member

Any updates on this? Im kinda in the same boat. The oil light starting flashing but no knocking noise's I cut the machine off to check the oil and it was full. Went to start it and its acting like its locked up. It ran maybe 2-3min tops and now nothing

5. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I think once that light indicates loss of psi you a seconds to get it shut down before it becomes a boat anchor.

6. pedahead

pedahead Member

I just rebuilt a 3024ct in a 242b that had 6000 hrs .If you do rebuild use the updated head gasket they had problems out of the ones that came in the kit.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino Super Moderator

Greenskeeper/mechanic
    I am sorry for you Steve,and scared for myself,as I have a 246,with the same engine..Im pretty sure the 248 has a 3034T in it,around 74hp net.When researching machines to purchase,I seen several with reman or new engines,and under 2000Hrs.....

8. watglen

watglen Senior Member

Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
    Is there a particular series or model year that is problematic. The 3024 is in many machines, across many years.

Just trying to decide if i should worry or not.

9. jrtraderny

jrtraderny Well-Known Member

Steve, How ya making out with this ?
    jr

10. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

I haven't been able to look at it much other than to say nothing has penetrated the block or pan. I'm having issues with my trucks which are more important and my repair time is limited. On top of that we're getting snow every few days which has to be plowed with the trucks that have the repair problems. I'm not a happy camper these days

11. jrtraderny

Ya , I know I've got a 2010 247B2 that oil sampled @ 100 hrs. with coolant in the oil.
    Really wish Cat would dump the Perkins motors in the compact line and go to Yanmar or Kubota.
    jr

12. lynger

lynger Member

Can these skid-steers have a Mitsubishi motor as well? We have a 236B at work and while changing the oil I noticed it said Mitsubishi on a plate on the valve cover. Just wondering if there are different engine options. Ours is around 1400 hrs and nothing yet. Good Luck hopefully Cat will help you out.

13. jrtraderny

Yeah I believe some of them have Mitsubishi in them.
    jr

14. nzpatch

nzpatch Well-Known Member

I think the 3.3l 3044 motors are mitsubishis , a four cyl version of the 3046 thats in the d3,4,5 i think, and the 2.2l 3024 are the perkins ones .
    the older "A" model ones all had perkins/cat 3034 .am i right?

15. maquinariawiebe

maquinariawiebe Well-Known Member

Aquisitions
    Almost every CAT skidsteer that we receive at our, that have the "Perkapillar" engines, need to be serviced. Lots of times, they have a hole on the side of the block. Considering the value of these skidsteers in our area, and that the engines are hard to replace with a good price. We have to find these skidsteers at a really good price.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  16. lynger

lynger Member

If engine overhaul/replacement was necessary, could a Mitsubishi be swapped in?

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse Well-Known Member

With the right parts and some fab skills, you could swap in a Briggs and Stratton if you wanted. ;)

Seriously, its basically an engine driving a pump... I don't see why you couldn't put any engine in there you want.

18. docjmj

docjmj New Member

Yesterday the second engine failed on my 242b2. 730 hours, the first engine failed at 175 hours this one lasted a bit over 500 hours.

19. xcmark

xcmark Senior Member

construction

WTF! I feel for you buddie, I am not trying to throw any punches just would like to know if the oil had been changed more then one or twice? I have a perk in my JCB and this post is not giving me a good feeling .

20. watglen

watglen Senior Member

Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
    Me neither Steve, I think my '05 257b has the 3024. This thread is scaring the crap out of me.

Can you tell me specifically what engine(s) you have failing.

Then can you tell us why do you think?

Thanks

Ken