• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another newbie here, Insley K-12

tds3rdtwin

Hi all, I rescued? a dragline from the scrap man a couple years ago. It's an Insley K12, built for the US Corps of Engineers. It has a Chrysler Industrial engine and although I watched it in operation about 4 years ago, I was told it threw a rod.
The man who owned it passed away and his family sold it with the farm. I have not done much with it except pull the oil drain plug and got a lot of coolant out of it.
I am not sure what I am going to do yet, either fix/replace the Chrysler motor, find a different motor or just offer it for sale. I don't know much about the controls yet, but I have been reading forums and have been looking for literature. My dad worked in quarries and road construction when he got out of the service and older equipment has always interested me.
I try to add pics when I am able and figure out how.

56wrench

Is that a chrysler flathead six? If it is, you need to measure the length of the block in order to locate a suitable replacement. They were made in a couple different lengths. Old Massey or Oliver/Cockshutt combines built during the 50's and early 60's used them and there are still some to be found at some small farm auctions and sell for scrap iron price

tds3rdtwin

Is that a chrysler flathead six? If it is, you need to measure the length of the block in order to locate a suitable replacement. They were made in a couple different lengths. Old Massey or Oliver/Cockshutt combines built during the 50's and early 60's used them and there are still some to be found at some small farm auctions and sell for scrap iron price
Yes it is. Chrysler Industrial, Model IND, Type 14A-425, Serial No. 50243. I thought Massey used them, I wasn't sure about other makes. Thanks for your input. I am planning to watch auctions this spring and see what I can do.

terex herder

Call Mike's Equipment in Buhler, KS. Ag equipment salvage store, lot of old equipment still working in that area.

InsleyGuy

I can't help with the engine, but I have pretty much all the manuals from when I restored mine. Not standard, but it has a 3-71 detroit for power.

tds3rdtwin

I can't help with the engine, but I have pretty much all the manuals from when I restored mine. Not standard, but it has a 3-71 detroit for power.

I have read about others with the 3-71, I would look at it as an option. I have not studied it enough to know what it would take to match up to the PTO unit.

skyking1

I see it in your avatar picture, how much boom does it have? cool rig BTW. My first excavator gig was on an Insley.

tds3rdtwin

I see it in your avatar picture, how much boom does it have? cool rig BTW. My first excavator gig was on an Insley.
The tag says equipped with 30' boom but it is shorter, I think someone removed the center section. I have not physically measured it.

tds3rdtwin

that was a common engine in a lot of old machines. My insley has a Buda gas engine in it. Caterpillar D311 was also offered as well as some othersView attachment 254325
So, with all the variations of engines used, did they also have to use a different PTO unit? Is there information somewhere to show which PTO unit went with which engine? I would like to keep it as simple as possible, and not spend my retirement on it, so if I find something other than the Chrysler Industrial, I would probably need the PTO with it? I have no specific time frame on this yet, I would like to get it moved but the landowner is still ok with it being there for now.

56wrench

The pto on different engines is usually different due to flywheel and flywheel housing differences and overall length of the pto. Notice i said 'usually'

tds3rdtwin

Well, due to some recent events, I am not likely to be able to do anything with this unit. I don't want it to go to the scrap pile but that may be the only option. If anyone is interested in it, let me know. I will try to do an actual for sale post another time.

I appreciate everyone's input.