• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Inernational Guru Question (Warning:Electrical Issue) 2001 4700LP DT530E

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
So I recently bought a new to me 2001 International 4700 LP crew cab with the DT530E and 3000 series allison in it. Anyways, on the way home, I had problems with the transmission slipping into neutral, I figured that between the insulation being worn off the positive wire going to the trans and the loose connection in the male to female connector that I had it figured out. So anyways, last weekend I was coming back home from hauling some hay, and the truck DIED while I was driving. I safely pulled off the side of the road and tried to restart the truck. No signs of life from the motor, but the gauges cycled and the electric brake back up worked fine as well as the radio coming on. SO I started checking fuses and relays as well as electrical connections from the batteries to the started and anywhere else I could think of. About 15 min later, the truck fired right back up, but the previous issue with the transmission resurfaced, (I need to replace the whole positive wire to the tranny, just haven't gotten to it yet). SO long story short, I made it home but there are no signs of life from the motor when I went back out this weekend to pull it up to the garage to work on it. I did notice a couple things.

The previous owner was a hack at wiring;
the one bolt that holds the one of the main wiring plugs to the ecm is stripped out; (this makes me nervous)
I think some of the insulation on the positive lead of the battery is worn through but there are no scorch marks on the frame;
I believe I can hear the relay under the dash clicking for the starter but there isn't a peep from the starter itself.
That is all that comes to mind at the moment.

Any ideas where to start checking? I'm going to have to start with the meter and have at it if I can't find a culprit. Are there any known problem areas for these wiring harnesses? I bought the electrical wiring diagram manual from International so I shouldn't be going about things to blindly. Would a low battery charge do this possibly? The truck currently has 107xxx miles and 3k hours on the clock.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
well, i have got it. I pulled the entire wiring assembly apart for the batteries, wire brushed every wire end and post, and fixed some bad spots in the wires. Its amazing how all of that led to my no starting issue. I had spots worn through the power and ground wire to the transmission as well that I fixed. Also had a bad two prong connector that I cut outand wired solid.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Does anyone know of a good place for power upgrades to the DT530E motors? I recently got 6th gear unlocked and it is fantastic crusing down the highway. I just need some more oomph going up the hills!