• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another gas line explosion story

BRL

Going from memory of an article I read the other day, because I can't find it now. A couple of towns away there was a house blown up recently, and 5 or so damaged. Contractor was removing an old tank. They found a conduit, but not where anything had been marked out according to them, so they kept working. Apparently they assumed it was an old gas or water line not in use anymore. On the second day they found soil that smelled like "gasoline" so work was stopped early that day for the crew. Their office then had to have the soil tested etc. & then set up a separate contract to deal with the contamination issues. So a while after the crew had left for the day the house blew up, apparently from a leak they caused. I'll research it to see if there was a resolution to whether the mark out was incorrect or not. But bottom line is never assume anything. Oh yea, the article didn't mention anyone else getting hurt somehow, though they said it was a busy area.