• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another crane went down

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Doesnt a member here @ HEF work for the Co. that owns this crane?

Very sad indeed.....

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Looks like it took a smaller crane with it when it went :eek: 1 death is tragic, to loose 4 in one accident is unbelievable, but looking at the size of the crane I imagine a lot more were lucky to survive.

Last edited:

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
This event only enhances OSHA's fingers to tighten on the crane industy. How many horrific episodes has it been this year alone? As a crane operator myself, I can speak for myself in saying that these events (however tragic they are) will only bring more stringent inspections and make operators in general more responsable and accountable for whatever happens on any given lift! If safety is being by-passed to the advantage of productivity and time limits....to heck with them, and make all major lifts a T&M situation! Better minds work with clear thoughts aka......good nights sleep, better planning!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Any crane that big has all the moves planned and ceritified by an engineer. It is a real mystery to me how those failures can happen at all. I am really sad that people got killed and even more perplexed that the accident happened at all.

As stated previously, how many big cranes have fallen in the last two years? Have they been structural failures or improper operation? Is there something inherently wrong with the design parameters? I haven't been around these monsters much but what little experience I do have kind of tells me these units are actually kind of fragile. I was told a few years ago that these monsters are rated for tipping load now and not for structural strength. Is it possible that the units are having mechanical failures before they reach the rated tipping load.

My last comment is that whatever is determined as the cause of the accident, it needs to be made public. My experience is that because there are deaths involved there will be multiple years of litigation and most times the settlements are sealed. When you seal the settlement it usually seals the cause of the accident and the industry doesn't learn how to prevent the thing from happening again.

I would be interested in hearing more of what actually happened.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Ditto John C! Could not agree with you more! DID?the roof touch the boom of Big Blue in Milwakeee? I have never been told for sure!!!

Lashlander

The cause of the Big Blue collapse was determened to be side loading by the wind. The load didn't touch the boom.

All reports so far from the Versa Lift collapse say they weren't making a pick. The crane was running though. It looks like it went over backwards in the pictures. There's a guy speculating that the operator fell asleep and hit the boom up lever and pulled it over backwards. I think thats pretty farfetched. I can't believe it wouldn't have a kick out or boom stops. All thoughts are speculations right now though.

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
This is the way I see it guys, honestly its everyone for them selfs, look out and know whats going on and whats being used for materials, if its something new learn about it and where else it was used, and you can't be afraid to do what you feel is right, even if its found out to be wrong... easier said than done tho...

This is what I think happens a lot out there.... ands its pretty ugly the way I believe goes on...

I strongly believe all the guys and bosses setting up job sites with materials, and the guys keeping things going, and the people who are operating these cranes are very much intimidated in situations where you have the white collar board of investors that are building the projects out there, they have large amounts of their money invested in the job and every penny is accounted for and has to be allocated for each phase of the job at set dates, and when jobs go past the set date dead line is when these investors pay out big interest for money they don't have ready to use... they have to borrow for each day that goes over.

Make no mistake all the job foreman's know if they can't meet dead lines to look for work some wheres else, because they won't have a job if too many dead lines are missed, or if they have a history of missing dead lines.....

So with that said safety is over looked all the time and I feel its known by just about everybody on the job who is aware of how things work out there, just like the crane that fell not long ago because of wind, and that crane required the okay to proceed by three men operating that particular crane, so what does that tell you? do you think they felt comfortable in saying lets stay shut down another day because I think they were having a string of bad wether?

So if your a job site foreman and at the age where nobody else will hire you, and that job position is next to impossible to find out in the job market, and you have 2 kids your putting thru collage.... of course there is no such thing as safety when its not your ass up in the seat when the area of danger is to be....

I'm sorry for saying things like this but greed and stupidity gets me upset because there is no need for it, and this is mainly the reason why bad accidents will keep happening... another stupid move here in NYC was when for some unknown reason the anchor bolts called for were changed out 3/4 of the way thru the job for another type that failed in time, so the concrete fell into the roadway killing people driving thru... the list is so long that has to do with stupid decisions and greed....

Listen to this, in my town of Bridgeport they were jacking up poured concrete floors, they must have been on the 8th floor or what ever it was, so the rain from the night before washed out the dirt under the support columns and the top few floors fell and toppled down the rest of the floors that were up and sandwiched 23 workers all on various levels.... and another stupid accident back a good while ago I'll never forget because my brother-in-law could have been in it was when a whole 16 story wall of scaffolding was not anchored to the wall the right way and it fell over killing many masons....

I may sound like a pain in the butt on certain jobs, but I trust no body and it never hurts to double check safety....

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
The cause of the Big Blue collapse was determened to be side loading by the wind. The load didn't touch the boom.

All reports so far from the Versa Lift collapse say they weren't making a pick. The crane was running though. It looks like it went over backwards in the pictures. There's a guy speculating that the operator fell asleep and hit the boom up lever and pulled it over backwards. I think thats pretty farfetched. I can't believe it wouldn't have a kick out or boom stops. All thoughts are speculations right now though.

Compare the accident picture with the picture that had been posted here on HEF earlier. It certainly looks like it went over backwards rather than forwards... :beatsme

(Source of the accident picture: http://www.click2houston.com/slideshow/news/16925547/detail.html)

Attachments

• new_FCC%202008%20CRANE%20%284a%29.jpg
    new_FCC%202008%20CRANE%20%284a%29.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 362
  • DScrane2.jpg
    DScrane2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 353

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I should have added to my post above, that I'm not making any suggestions as to what may have caused it to go over backwards. I'm certainly not knowlegeble enough on the subject of large cranes to know. I don't want my omission to be construed as agreeing with the speculation Lash mentioned...

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
It looks like it went over backwards in the pictures. There's a guy speculating that the operator fell asleep and hit the boom up lever and pulled it over backwards. I think thats pretty farfetched. I can't believe it wouldn't have a kick out or boom stops. All thoughts are speculations right now though.

I wont speculate as to whether this is true or even possible in this case, BUT I do know for a fact that the Hitachi crawler cranes we had abroad in early 80's were very easy to leave the boom in hoist on such a slow rate that more than one operator came very very ( dont sneeze ) close to doing that exact thing. Who....... me...... :eek: :eek:
Within the last 2yrs a very similar ( to my description ) accident occured here in the UK when a crawler did exactly as described for no apparent reason :beatsme. There was speculation that the boom had been left in hoist but nobody could believe that such a thing was possible. I haven't seen a final report of the incident to confirm or deny the suggestion.

DPete

I don't think they were making a pick. Are'nt those all the counterweights in Diggers pic still sitting on the ground?