• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Certified Operator

Turbo21835

Well dont ya know the riggers are the one that know the load chart for the crane and are the ones who have their ass in the sling when something goes wrong

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
It is always up to the operator to decide if the pic is safe.
Regardless of what anyone else says, the operator is the one who is responsible and who decides if the pic will be made.
Before I make a pic, I set my boom and swing limits if there are any obstructions anywhere around me.
This is done without a load but making all the necessary moves as if I had the load on...from start to finish.
While some people might think that this is alot to go thru, it makes me feel better.
I know that you can never trust anyone 100%.
And when poop happens, it happens big time.
I've never had anyone get hurt while I'm on a crane.
Thats why I go thru my little routine...
I'd like to keep it that way.
:cool:

jimmyjack

you would think that when the thing first touchs the ground it sat there for a sec, but still enough time to let it down before it pulled the crane over. but i don't know much about it i don't run cranes, thats just my thought.
back to the finger pointing its the opertors fault hes the one in control of the crane not riggers.

drdcco

Occupation
crane operator
I seen the posting on DHS too ,and it's obvious the load kicked out from the crane because it wasn't centered properly. It only takes a minute to double check your lift, but it only takes a second for disaster to strike..
Dave

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I seen the posting on DHS too ,and it's obvious the load kicked out from the crane because it wasn't centered properly. It only takes a minute to double check your lift, but it only takes a second for disaster to strike..
Dave

The start of the video shows the load swinging. Do I take it you mean that as he picked the load up it swung away from him like a pendulum, because his boom/stick/jib was too far out/down. ( not centered )?
If so, in the UK the banksman ( your rigger I believe ) would be responsible. The operator can see upright left to right but would only have a guide to forward / back upright when he lowered the lifting slings. BUT, if the operator had inched it off the ground very gently he should have detected the movement away from him and set it down, then boomed up to get a straight lift.
Somebody didn't plan the lift :(
I must admit at first look I thought he had slewed too fast and it had got away from him. Either way he was on his limits. Next time he'll answer that fone in his cab next time it rings :D

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums drdcco! :drinkup

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I can't see the pictures well enough to have an opinion as to the cause. I can think of a couple of issues concerning the rigging that might have a bearing on the accident.

Was the rigging safe to use? Did something fail such as a hook or strap.

Who decided on the pick points for the object? Were there engineered lifting eyes or stake pockets designed to be used for placing the object? If not who is responsible for where those lifting devices are attached? Most picks I have been part of have some kind of engineering done to safely accomplish placement of the part.

Was the operator informed of the actual weight of the object? I have seen the wrong weights put on items I was asked to lift. I know most newer cranes have LMI systems on board but I don't know if there was one in this crane.

As far as the operator goes, I think I can see the boom being lowered just before the crane goes over. If that is the case then I would have to think the operator was not qualified to be in the seat. Lowering the boom would let the load get farther from center and possibly past the load chart. Which brings up the LMI question. If one was installed it should have prevented the operator from lowering the boom. My inpression of the accident is that the whole crew on site did not know what they were doing. There were men pushing on the load to stabilize it instead of having lines tied off.

From looking at the post I'm hoping no one got hurt in the accident.

drdcco

Occupation
crane operator
That's correct when I refered to the load not being properly centered under the boom when the crane took the weight. Generally when the crane takes the weight of a heavy load the boom will deflect causuing the boom tip to go past the center of the load. I've been a crane operator for 12 years and generally what I do is visually check the boom tip myself unless I'm working with someone that I've worked with before and trust. I'll start taking the weight,and watch my LMI screen to see if the radius increases, if it does then I'll start lifting with the boom to maintain my original radius which will help the load to lift straight up. I've had crane booms deflect up to 5 feet upon landing a load.
As far as the responsibilty for that incident I'd say it should be shared between the parties involved with doing the work, just my opinion and I do agree this wasn't a well planned job.
Dave