• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another accident result "Housebuilder fined £10k after site fall "

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Housebuilder fined £10k after site fall
By Sophie Griffiths

Wynbrook pleads guilty to breach of Health and Safety Act after electrician fell 2.5m in metal cage

A housebuilder has been fined £10,000 after an electrician fell 2.5m in a metal cage.

Nottingham-based Wynbrook pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act for failing to ensure contractors were not exposed to risks to their safety. In addition to the £10,000, the firm was ordered to pay £3,362 costs.

The incident occurred on 30 October 2007, when an electrician was working on a residential development in Lincoln.

Wynbrook, the principal contractor on the site, had hired a telescopic materials handler and a man-carrying cage to carry out parts of the work. The cage was put onto the forks of the handler and used to lift a number of people to otherwise inaccessible parts of the site.

However, the driver, who had not been trained in the use of the cage, failed to secure it to the forks on this occasion. The electrician was lifted up and the cage fell off, dropping around two and a half metres to the ground.

The electrician suffered a broken wrist, severe bruising and concussion and was unable to work for more than eight months.

In addition, no-one who had been in the cage had worn a harness to secure themselves to it, and the driver was unaware the telescopic handler had a safety pin in the cab that could be used to prevent the forks from accidentally being dropped.

HSE Inspector Martin Giles said: “Last year 61 people died and more than 14,000 suffered a serious injury after a slip, trip or fall from height at work. It is the most common cause of death at work.

"This incident could have been avoided, and a man might not have been seriously injured if the company had managed this risk by ensuring the telehandler driver had had the appropriate training required to carry out the lifting operation safely.”

By Sophie Griffiths

Wynbrook pleads guilty to breach of Health and Safety Act after electrician fell 2.5m in metal cage

A housebuilder has been fined £10,000 after an electrician fell 2.5m in a metal cage.

Nottingham-based Wynbrook pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act for failing to ensure contractors were not exposed to risks to their safety. In addition to the £10,000, the firm was ordered to pay £3,362 costs.

The incident occurred on 30 October 2007, when an electrician was working on a residential development in Lincoln.

Wynbrook, the principal contractor on the site, had hired a telescopic materials handler and a man-carrying cage to carry out parts of the work. The cage was put onto the forks of the handler and used to lift a number of people to otherwise inaccessible parts of the site.

However, the driver, who had not been trained in the use of the cage, failed to secure it to the forks on this occasion. The electrician was lifted up and the cage fell off, dropping around two and a half metres to the ground.

The electrician suffered a broken wrist, severe bruising and concussion and was unable to work for more than eight months.

In addition, no-one who had been in the cage had worn a harness to secure themselves to it, and the driver was unaware the telescopic handler had a safety pin in the cab that could be used to prevent the forks from accidentally being dropped.

HSE Inspector Martin Giles said: “Last year 61 people died and more than 14,000 suffered a serious injury after a slip, trip or fall from height at work. It is the most common cause of death at work.

"This incident could have been avoided, and a man might not have been seriously injured if the company had managed this risk by ensuring the telehandler driver had had the appropriate training required to carry out the lifting operation safely.”

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
However, the driver, who had not been trained in the use of the cage, failed to secure it to the forks on this occasion.

This is the kind of careless operations that really chaps my ass. I have a Gradall and a man basket. You slide the forks in, secure it with locking safety pins at the back of the forks (the "slides or skids" on the basket are longer than the forks) securely fastening the basket to the machine. Furthermore a harness is required and nobody rides around in the basket on the jobsite - the machine gets into a safe lifting position, the guys/gals get into the basket, fasten safety harness and lanyard and you make your lift.

On my jobsite the quickest way to get sent packing is not follow the above rules - regardless of whether you are in the operators seat or in the basket. So far due to "beating into the crainium" the above safety procedures we have not had an accident or sent anyone packing.

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Geez...I can't remember the last time I saw a basket being used without safety harnesses. Crikey, even I have a harness in my tools trailer.

bill onthehill

Never much cared for safety harnesses till I saw a crane repairman get knocked off a 70 ton overhead gantry crane. He fell about 20 ft. and was left hanging 30 ft. off the ground. I went up in a JLG manlift and got him down. Other than a very sore groin he was uninjured. A fella moving a military tank hull down the line ran into the crane he was servicing and pushed it instead of following procedure and moving it out of the way. Had he tried to move it he would have seen the lockout on the control. After that incident it became a 4 man operation to work on overhead cranes and 1 man was always stationed at the main buss disconnect to shut down all power for the cranes in that bay.

Framer

The law say's that if a man is in the man basket the wheels must not travel on the machine. The operator must remain in the machine. And the worker must be harnessed for travel restraint. The basket must also be engineered. Follow that and you're generaly good. Far beyond the safety of a manlift. The most important thing on my site is a trained, and more importantly someone that has demonstrated competence with other things such as lumber. A ticket only shows that you showed up to a course. Theres a big difference between a competent operator and i ticketed operator. The operator must be familiar with the particular machine before I let them operate with a man on the machine.