• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

angle blade?

coopers

Hey guys, I've had a few people ask me about angle blades on mini-excavators. I am not too familiar with these. I think that a mini doesn't really have the pushing power to do this job. I think they do well for pushing forward but angle requires a little more power just because of the ackward angle. Anyone have opinions on this? Thanks!!

Blake
WA

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I haven't ever used one and I've only seen them on a few machines. Kobelco offers them on their 150 and 190 bladerunner models, but those weigh 30,000-40,000lbs. The only smaller machine that I can remember seeing one on was a Komatsu pc-40 or something close to that. I've used a pc-40 with a straight blade and rubber tracks and it didn't even like to push straight. I don't know how much of a difference steel tracks would have made. I suppose if a smaller machine was only being used to backfill small trenches then it wouldn't need much power to push an angle blade. It certainly won't replace a dozer for major grading work.

One of the downsides that I can see would be having the extra weight of the angling piston and frame hanging off the front of the machine. Most smaller machine don't take much to lose their balance.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
We don't have one on our Kubota KX161-3 but I see plenty online in the States with them and the operators appear to like them. As for mini's not having the pushing power well its all relavent to size....why put a blade on at all??. I was running a Cat 302.5 last week and it had heaps of pushing power...for its size.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
Kubota has been offering these as an option the last couple of years. I don't see any out there in operation yet...

coopers

Yeah, the reason I ask is that kubota is now putting them on their machines, almost all the ones on display at the kubota dealership we buy ours from have them on and I wasn't sure what people thought. I have a guy that is comtemplating having one on his 121-3.

Blake
WA

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I hear Cat is to incorporate an angle blade onto its '06 304/305CR machines.

amxgerry

angle blade

keep in mind that final drives on smaller units are not designed like one on a small dozer.. new units may be tougher but on older units, go easy , and dozing is allso hard on tracks.

regards gerry

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
coopers said:
Hey guys, I've had a few people ask me about angle blades on mini-excavators. I am not too familiar with these. I think that a mini doesn't really have the pushing power to do this job. I think they do well for pushing forward but angle requires a little more power just because of the ackward angle. Anyone have opinions on this? Thanks!!

Blake
WA

Blake,

I also agree with you that the power of the drive might not be sufficient for long term reliability. The cost of replacing drives is in the $5000.00 range each in Canada. The idea is great but I would like to see some long term use before I rushed out to get one. On my excavator I try not to do too much tracking or dozing as I think this is a secondary use for this type of machine. Although I have no proof of problems associated with extended tracking and dozing I do know of machines that have had both sides replaced. When I had issues with Kubota Canada I had a opportunity to talk to people in the know. One of the things that came up in a secondary discussion was one of the main feedback that was received from the dealers pertaining to excavators. One of the biggest wants by the public was faster and more power in the drive motors for pushing, moving etc.. Now this is a legitimate expectation from the manufacturer but it comes with a cost. Larger more powerful drive motors cost a lot more which adds to the cost of new machines. So I would like to see that drives can take the additional load from angle blading as well as what percentage of the time the blade is being used. Unfortunately the small amount of these machines out there means it could take awhile to find out any good feedback. As I stated above the cost of these drives is so much that at present time it "could" be a risk of costing money down the road. At present the warranty is only one year and most components "should" have no problem exceeding that. I just don't want to have to replace them in year two or three. The bottom line is IMO I don't think the unproven new design is worth the risk. Now if I had to have one for the jobs that I was doing or the dealer/manufacturer was willing to stand behind the potential problems with extended warranty on certain components I might think different. I just hate being the tester of new designs at my expense. In almost thirty years of buying new equipment and vehicles I found the best to be the well tested as opposed to the new, flashy and unproven. Just not as kool when you don't have the latest and greatest.

Yukon Digger

I got the angle blade on our Kubota 121-3 we got last year and found it realy handy. I was a little bit unsure of the extra weight in case we had to sling it anywhere by chopper but it was very handy for road building and making drill pads. One nice thing was being able to angle the blade to give an extra push to a boulder to get it over the edge of a bank. I also had to move some 3 ton concrete slabs around on rollers and angle gave me a bit more push and control. I can also push snow like a son of a gun. Heated cab beats the cold open ATV.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I can see where an angle blade would actually be better for the tracks. No longer when backfilling a trench must you do it perpenpicular to the trench. Push a blade width, backup turn, push... With a angle blade, just run parrallel to trench and fill it in. If the mini cant push it all in with one pass, make two passes. Miles don't kill tracks, spinning and turning kill tracks. Also the blade on a mini isn't designed to be a dozer blade, notice the lack of a replaceable cutting edge?

I think they are ment to be a stabilizer and a trench backfiller. I wanna try a blade runner out, they are designed as an excavator / dozer.

Last edited:

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
FWIW - I was told that Kubota was coming out with a 6 way blade option for the 121 this year. I think that Komatsu has that on some of their mini's as well.

Iron Horse

Excavators with a blade option also come with upgraded track motors .

I think an angle blade would be great , and a PAT blade even better . My 3.5 tonner had heaps of push . With a bit of a dig around the roots , it would push over pretty big trees .

Red Bank

Also the blade on a mini isn't designed to be a dozer blade, notice the lack of a replaceable cutting edge?

Does this mean I was wrong to have our blades modified to run a replaceable cutting edge?;) I think it depends on what you are working on or with? Our foremen have asked for a Kubota with an angle blade but the Boss said no, he thinks too many parts and another cylinder to tear up, our mini's work in the street, and when backfilling I think the angle blade would work better. I have watched our operators work these blades and in my opinion they have plenty of pushing power for what we are using them for. As far as the replaceable cutting edge, some Cat engineers came out last year and checked out our modified blades, said they were interested in making that a "severe duty" option. Haven't seen the option or my royalty check yet;)

mverick

I can see where an angle blade would actually be better for the tracks. No longer when backfilling a trench must you do it perpenpicular to the trench. Push a blade width, backup turn, push... With a angle blade, just run parrallel to trench and fill it in. If the mini cant push it all in with one pass, make two passes. Miles don't kill tracks, spinning and turning kill tracks. Also the blade on a mini isn't designed to be a dozer blade, notice the lack of a replaceable cutting edge?

I think they are ment to be a stabilizer and a trench backfiller. I wanna try a blade runner out, they are designed as an excavator / dozer.

If the trench collapses and you're running along it with that blade, you're in trouble. To it and back is much safer. Your heaviest load is 3 feet or so back from the trench. Along the trench it's right at the edge.

I used to do it with mine. Fell in but boomed over fast enough to not go into the trench when it collapsed. Mine didn't have the adjustment, i extended the blade myself for speed.

Never again.

trenchman

First of all the mini's are not a dozer,By doing so you will kill the life of your rubber tracks. I take the bucket and pull and push the trench full and then do clean up with the blade. I have a 36in ditching bucket for this. Having a angle blade for this would be a huge time saver and would also cause less property damage because your not turning and tearing up the lot.

croweater

I agree with Trenchman. Way less stress on tracks and running gear by using ditching/mud bucket to backfill but for a final cleanup where you want to mound on top of trench it would be great especially in tight areas or lawn.

k45

Well I'm new to mini excavators, I just picked up my my KX-121 with angle blade yesterday and put a few hours into it. I rented one without the angle blade a few weeks ago.

For my use, the angle blade is fantastic.

Mostly I'm building trails across hillsides. All I have to do is use the bucket for a few strokes on the high side and the dirt is loose and I move the unit straight forward. The angle blade pushes the dirt to the downside.

Also, the Kubota has "float" with the blade so you can back up with it angled and smooth out the work.

So far, it's not taking much effort to push the dirt sideways so I have my doubts that it's going to be a heavy wear issue.

Ken