• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

American 150 T railroad crane

Tugger2

Looks like a beast. The good old BC Rail days.Its amazing that the BCR ran all the way to Dease Lake back in the day, now its just abandoned sub grade up there. You must have seen some good wrecking jobs in your neck of the woods.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Looks like a beast. The good old BC Rail days.Its amazing that the BCR ran all the way to Dease Lake back in the day, now its just abandoned sub grade up there. You must have seen some good wrecking jobs in your neck of the woods.
You bet, all of them were mostly north of Squamish. Anderson & Seton lakes were bad for rock sides ,lots of engines in the lake most of them we recovered. Green lake just north of Whistler was a snow belt, on a wreck in Jan 73 it snowed almost a foot in an hour it was so bad you couldn’t see pass your nose. The American Crane in those days didn’t have power down on the boom,was installed later in Prince George. Have more pictures ,will dig them out . Getting bored so it’s time to go thru them .Ken

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I remember our operators "letting them down thru the gears" when they had a heavy load on the hoists without power down also.

Tugger2

Yes it works very well ,until you forget that the sprag clutch on later Americans runs the boom hoist up as your lowering. Being the load is is heavy your usually up near the stops and your boomhoist cutout is not working. next thing you know a bent heel section.
It would be great to see more pictures of that crane in action.
Hope your doing well up there Ken
Dave

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Yes it works very well ,until you forget that the sprag clutch on later Americans runs the boom hoist up as your lowering. Being the load is is heavy your usually up near the stops and your boomhoist cutout is not working. next thing you know a bent heel section.
Dave

I don't remember the boom ever going up as they lowered thru the gears. The cranes we were around on the bridge jobs were quite old. I remember when we got two brand new 100 tonners with power down on a bigger bridge job. Life was good then and we never tied the 450 JD with a bucket full of rocks to the counterweigh again as long as I worked there.

bccat

Occupation
Dave
Hi Dave, My Dad passed away in 2012, so the property was sold in 2016 as my mom couldn’t look after the place. I retired from United Rentals in 2014, Sold our place in 2019 & moved to Langley to be closer to kids & granddaughter sold all the cats to a fella in California

bccat

Occupation
Another pic , Squamish BC

Attachments

• 99873C33-4947-448F-9905-8AD19D7F19B9.jpeg
    99873C33-4947-448F-9905-8AD19D7F19B9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28