1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Am I out of line?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by BigWrench55, Jun 16, 2022.

1. digger doug

digger doug Senior Member

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    Here is where I took that pix, see the little boat dock ?
    Nice and quiet, they even shut the engine off for awhile so you could relax & take it all in:
    Keep zooming out until you recognize where you are at...:D
    https://goo.gl/maps/qMHB3ztJ7zrcx2Zj7

BigWrench55 and DMiller like this.
  2. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

Puerto Montt is on my must visit list!

DMiller likes this.
  3. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Yeah- they donntaa speakkaa mi a lahngage downta there. I ain't going.

DMiller likes this.
  4. digger doug

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    True, many people speak german down there.
    I got along O.k. they were great people.

DMiller likes this.
  5. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Less and less as time goes by, sadly.

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  6. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Show me a law anywhere that says everything has to be engineered and certified or it’s not legal to use.

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    There isn't. The builder of what ever is going to assume the liability in any case if it reaches a court
    and caused a issue involving life or limb.

8. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

True .. That's the reason I abandoned, a mechanism I had patented. The market was too small vs the design liability.

9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    ^^^

DMiller likes this.
  10. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Sadly there should at least have to be inspections on homemade stuff that could cause serious injury if it failed. One of the most popular (and scary) 1st. projects for people wanting to learn to weld is trailers. They figure they can just buy a welder and build a trailer without actually knowing the 1st. thing about welding. If you have to ask questions about every aspect of the project maybe you're not skilled enough yet to be building it.

DMiller, Tinkerer and Truck Shop like this.
  11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Quoting Eastwood {A man has got to know his limitations}.

12. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

My lifting equipment has quite a list of rules from osha.

13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Lifting fixtures at the nuke underwent serious tests to prove viability as most were custom constructed onsite. ALL had a Engineering Signoff on prints used to produce them.

14. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    By your logic nothing would have ever gotten built unless some third party was there to inspect it. So who certifies that third party as inspectors on something that has never been done before?

15. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    The 4th post up..WelderDave hit it.. THATS exactly how I feel about people trying to build their inj. pump.!!!
    How about THIS.??
    What about THAT.??
    Where can I buy parts.??
    What’s the spec on THAT.??
    If u don’t have or can’t find the information you need..
    DONT TRY IT..

16. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    That's all taken care of by the one and only {Inspector General of Things that haven't been Built before--
    until Now.

Labparamour, John C. and DMiller like this.
  17. Welder Dave

Lots of things would have been built but if there were never any established standards put on things, it would be pretty scary. A lot of things are designed and built and go through extensive testing to make sure they are safe. Lots of things have required beefing up or a redesign because in actual use there were failures. That's why vehicles have recalls. I mentioned trailers because there are some really poorly built ones on the road that shouldn't be. A visual inspection by a vehicle inspection station would reveal poor welds and too light of construction. Wouldn't be hard to find someone to do that. New Miller and Lincoln trailers for welders that go on the highway have to be inspected by a 3rd party when brought into Canada before they can be registered. A large semi trailer manufacturer up here was forced into receivership because several of their largest trailers were failing. It was a result of poor engineering. Even engineered stuff can fail. Imagine if there were no inspections or certifications for lifting apparatus or cranes didn't have load charts. If something is built just for use at home or in a shop is one thing but inspections should be required on some home and shop built items that could pose a serious threat to others should they fail, like trailers. UL, CE and CSA test and certify all kinds of things. There are other agencies that certify things like ROPS structures for equipment. It costs a lot of money but it sure gives piece of mind in the event of a rollover.

digger doug, Truck Shop and DMiller like this.
  18. BigWrench55

BigWrench55 Senior Member

It is that exact line of thinking that gets more government involved into our lives. Thus costing us more in taxes and personal freedom. Don't get me wrong I am for things being safe. And I am certain that there are enough rules and regulations already on the books that make it that way. But you are sadly mistaken if you think that we can legislate our way into a utopian society. Are there people out there building things that shouldn't? Of course there are. Does it effect me and my loved ones? I hope not and if I can notice the danger. Then I will use the many laws and regulations we have already to do something about it. We need to stop trying to make the world safer. It is about as safe as it will get. More people killing themselves from their own stupidity is what we need. It's called natural selection. It is our duty and not the duty of government to hold those accountable and to stop them from hurting others! And not themselves!:mad:

19. Welder Dave

Go on the Welding Web and look at the trailer fail pics. I'm not saying everything needs to be inspected but a faulty or poorly built trailer is as bad as a semi that doesn't pass inspection. Hoping it doesn't affect you or your loved ones? Is that what the guy was thinking when a wheel came flying off a truck into his windshield and it killed him? Could an inspection have stopped that from happening... absolutely! Something like a trailer is no different.

donkey doctor and Truck Shop like this.
  20. digger doug

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    More than 10 dead, over 250 injured in Jordan’s Aqaba gas leak | Al Arabiya English
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are the 10 or so killed and 250 more injured stoopid ?
    Not as much oversite and regulations going on there....

Welder Dave, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.