• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aluminum radiator repair

heymccall

No idea which forum...so here goes.

IHI IC100-2 crawler carrier aluminum radiator with plastic tanks has one damaged tube. Any recommendations on how to go about fixing a dented and subsequently leaking tube. Looks like rock hit.
Epoxy?
Jbweld?
Low temp solder?

Made by Tokyo Radiator and IHI sure is proud of them. $3100 after truck freight and tax. And, there is only one in the country.20190410_144026.jpg

crane operator

A picture of the crack would help. I know that on aluminum air to air they can cap off tubes and weld them shut. I don't know why you couldn't with that also. I have tried JB and its only a temporary fix. My aluminum welding skills with my little spool gun wouldn't be up to the task, but I guess the guys that tig can make a nice aluminum weld.

hosspuller

For $3100... I'd try high heat JB weld. Rated to 400 degrees. Get it clean, clean. & roughen the surface with sandpaper.
JB:
We recommend using acetone or lacquer thinner. In the absence of these two, soap and water can be used. Just be sure that the surface is completely dry before applying J-B Weld. DO NOT use alcohol or any “cleaner” that will leave a petroleum residue.

Here's the high heat
https://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-putty-sticks/products/highheat-epoxy-putty

JB also makes a radiator kit. $3100 buys a lot of try.

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/metal/products/j-b-weld-radiatorweld

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My local radiator shop could probably build you a full replacement cheaper than that, or repair it themselves somehow, maybe by sealing off the damaged area.

Jonas302

There is a special aluminum radiator epoxy that works quite well and like truck shop said I have a few trucks running with JB weld over a little hole
A radiator shop would fill the tube with epoxy a pretty durable repair

Welder Dave

Find a tig welder who works on motorcycle and snowmobile radiators and see if it can be welded. It would be the best repair but requires someone with experience welding very thin aluminum.