• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

alternator smoking

jocko165

put a new battery on my ford 555 after trying to jump start. put on the positive cable first and as soon as I touched the negative terminal to post the alternator started smoking and fried. any ideas? worked fine last time I used it and have tried jump starting it once with no trouble but now...poof

Delmer

You're SURE you didn't mix up the cables jumping or with the battery? Not doubting you, just saying that statistically-that's what happened.:D

So you tried jumpstarting it with jumper cables? or a booster/charger? And it smoked from hooking up the battery AFTER you were cranking it over jumpstarting it?

The only thing I come up with is the alternator went bad, and drained the old battery, started heating up with the jumpstarting, then melted down when you hooked up the new battery?

jocko165

Absolutely hooked the cables up correctly. When I tried to jump it the tractor wouldn't do anything. I found a bare spot in the positive cable that I'm pretty sure was contacting metal. Could that have caused it?

Delmer

Mystery solved.

Also, if it's a delco alternator, you may be able to buy a parts kit cheaper than a rebuilt alternator, most likely the diodes were doing the smoking. If the alternator doesn't have a tach drive or anything else unusual, then you can get a cheap rebuilt anywhere.