• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alternator oiled up

Volvomad

I pulled off this alternator because it was in my way .This Hitachi Ex200-5 has a bearly leaking front crank seal for a few years . The alt is working A1 but I was wondering if I could dip it or spray it with something now or when running back on the machine to remove some of the sh-t without damaging insulation ,bearings or electronics . I dont know if the regulator is internal or not . (a bit more of a bosch man but not really into alternator repairs ) .I am not keen on striping itDSCF0025.JPG . DSCF0026.JPG

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't have a great answer to your question but maybe heat it up to 180 degrees F or so to get the oil softer and blow it out with high pressure air just to get rid of oil that blocks the passages? Split the cases if you really want to get ambitious?

Delmer

Anything you use will get into the bearings. I'd pull it apart. It's easy to take apart, getting the brushes back isn't hard as long as you know the trick. I don't know the style, but there's usually a trick to getting them together, or at least a proper order.

Do you have access to a parts washer with solvent? or a can of diesel, or gas if you do it outside and have a brush pile to burn. Then you can grease up the bearing again and be good for another few years.

One thing to be careful especially with a gunked up alternator, don't jump start it with the batteries drained way down, let them charge up a while first. Or if you have to jump it, let it sit at medium speed with no accessories to charge the batteries. If you jump something and take off with the accessories on, the alternator has a huge load and will burn out at low rpms and/or blocked cooling.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Myself, I would blast it with the pressure washer and exchange it for a new/rebuilt unit. By the time that much gunk is cleaned off... Who knows what may be damaged in the process.

hosspuller

How much does downtime / labor cost you ? Do it now or do it later depends on how much you need the machine. A farm machine used for the odd jobs... A little CRC electro-kleen ... a machine that may hold up a $$$ job with hefty penalties for late completion get a new one.

Delmer

It's already on the bench, four more screws and it's apart. If it's OEM, don't replace it with a cheap aftermarket, that one is VERY WELL PRESERVED.

crane operator

or a can of diesel

I'm with delmer.

If its lived through all that oil, I don't see where putting some diesel on it with a brush and then cleaning/ scraping it off is going to hurt it any more than the oil did. I find a little diesel really loosens up the old oil soaked stuff. Put the alternator in a shallow pan with 1/2 gallon or so of diesel and brush it all on it and let it soak in a little. Scrape it off and maybe a little brake cleaner on the hard to get at places, and to remove the diesel residue.

Volvomad

Good info as always . It is original . It should outlive an aftermarket one even left as is . I may well rip it . I should replace the bearings as it has 18k of use with 2 b belts kept ft at all times . Thicko's put the alt on the wrong side of the engine . What solvents could I let it soak in ? or is CRC the best if I can get it . When googeling CRC ,i came by an article that recommended paint thinners . I would be thinking white spirits or the like . It is only my own time to waist but this is the machine I brought into the shop to line bore the dipper pin bores . I started with the swing trans seal ,swing motor ,pump controller o rings, oil cooler , exhaust manifold . I wont get boring till christmas . Sorry , ranting . It is only my own time .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Good info as always . It is original . It should outlive an aftermarket one even left as is . I may well rip it . I should replace the bearings as it has 18k of use with 2 b belts kept ft at all times . Thicko's put the alt on the wrong side of the engine . What solvents could I let it soak in ? or is CRC the best if I can get it . When googeling CRC ,i came by an article that recommended paint thinners . I would be thinking white spirits or the like . It is only my own time to waist but this is the machine I brought into the shop to line bore the dipper pin bores . I started with the swing trans seal ,swing motor ,pump controller o rings, oil cooler , exhaust manifold . I wont get boring till christmas . Sorry , ranting . It is only my own time .

18,000 hours? replace it and don't look back.

Delmer

Depends on how many hours you plan to put on it, and how much you value your time.

If you can find a decent rebuild kit, bearings brushes and go. 18,000 hours is nothing for an electric motor.

Delmer

I wouldn't use brake cleaner. The flamable stuff is a hot solvent that the electronics cleaner is designed to avoid. The nonflamable stuff might not be available in the EU? You don't want to melt the plastics inside, paint thinner or diesel will work fine IMHO.

Volvomad

I have been dunking it in a bucket of diesel when I pass it and it is brightening dunk on dunk . I will blow it off and keep dunking .

Volvomad

I ripped it .I soaked it in petrol (gasoline) and blew it off with compressed air . The only brand of front bearing I could get is this PFI which I never herd of before . It is a cool machine .No brushes ,no regulator . It is back on the mackine again with a new cooling pack so hopefully it and the rest of the work will pay off .

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I should have mentioned. I keep an old dishwasher in the shop for things just like that. It is amazing how well they clean up. Just have to let them sit in the sun for a day or two to dry out internally before putting them back into service.