• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allison trans error codes???

SunServicesLLC

Wondering if anyone here can help? One of my rolloff trucks was vandalized a few weeks ago, I assuming by a past employee.They took of the atf cap which is behind the cab and put a couple handfuls of sand and small gravel from the lot into the trans. The truck went out in the am and came back an hour later not shifting right. We dropped the pan and found all of the the sand and 1/4 gravel packed around the primary filter(there are three total on this trans). We took the pan and valve bodies off flushed it really well along with the rest of the trans. Everything looked great and we put it all back together w/ new filters and fluid.
Now for the bad news.... When you push the D button to put it in gear the D just flashes and then goes back to N. It will not engage at all now.

It is throwing these two codes: LO-70 and D-14522
So does anyone have any ideas, just trying to fix this without taking it to the allison certified repair place where they told me right off the bat the easiest thing to do is just put a reman trans in for who nows how much.
Thanks for any help
Brian

surfer-joe

It's too bad that your driver did not find the sand during his pre-shift inspection. Now that you have run the beast, that sand is distributed into every oil passageway or nook and cranny in the entire transmission, converter, and oil cooler. It will continue to cause trouble untill the trans is disassembled, cleaned, and put back together.

I can't help you with the codes though your dealer can. But I do agree with their advice to swap out the tranny and oil cooler right away. This tranny will never be right and you run the risk of completely destroying it, thus rendering it unfit for any reman program.

You could consider buying a good used tranny and cooler assembly, then rebuild your original and keep it for a spare, if you have enough trucks to warrant doing this that is.

The original oil cooler should have been thrown away when you tried to clean out the trans. Maybe you did this and didn't mention it. Debris like sand, once it goes into a cooler, stays there and shakes out forever. There is simply no good way to clean out a tranny cooler without rebuilding it from scratch that I know of. All the transmission oil hoses, tubing, and filter assemblies should also have been removed and cleaned. Residual debris collects in those parts and will fall out into the oil as time goes on.

I've had this happen to me in the past, and found no relief from on-going problems untill everything I mentioned above was done.

Sorry this happened to you. It's really bad news and expensive no matter which way you go. One hopes you have instructed the rest of your drivers to more carefully check their equipment during their pre-shift inspections, and that you have also increased your yard security.

Good Luck!

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Debris like sand, once it goes into a cooler, stays there and shakes out forever. There is simply no good way to clean out a tranny cooler without rebuilding it from scratch that I know of. All the transmission oil hoses, tubing, and filter assemblies should also have been removed and cleaned. Residual debris collects in those parts and will fall out into the oil as time goes on.

Absolutely right Joe... it'll haunt you forever... :(

Sorry to hear about that Brian....
And how could the guys revenge be sweet... you don't even know who did it... :mad:

OCR

SunServicesLLC

Thanks for the replies, i generally would agree with you guys but the sand etc... wasnt in any of the trans except for being packed around the main pickup filter. It seemed to have done its job. I guess i am just hoping a new trans isnt the only option and was wondering if anyone had access to know what those codes mean
Thanks Again
Brian