• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis HD7, Parts machine, any interest?

hillbillywrench

My dad has an allis HD7 that he said I could list for sale. It had a Left Steering clutch go bad about 15+ years ago. He parked it in the woods and there it sits. It has a 3-71 Detroit, straight blade (semi-U possibly), 3 or 4 speed trans with one reverse, the blade lift cylinders are mounted vertically to the ROPS(? can't seem to find that style on other hd7's i've seen), no winch. We know the blower seals were bad (if tipped a little to (Right?) side it would run on oil wide open). The main clutch was questional also. We put a salvage yard Right Front Idler (it has a little orange paint on it, the rest of the dozer has some yellow paint) about a year before it quit. I'm sure the tree rats have removed all the insulation from the wiring (at least there's not much in a hd7), and it looks like the trans/clutch access plates in the floor have been removed (they're there, but the squirrels have filled the seat/floor full of acorns, leaves and sticks.) It is parked on flat ground, (but no way to get a decent sized trailer snaked down the road to it), would need to be moved about 1/4 mile to trailer access. He would like to see it go to someone that needs some (rare?) parts rather than scrap yard. I took pics (including track chains, sprockets, idlers, and grousers). Is it worth posting pics and selling?
There's no rush, it's set for this long. i was telling him about this forum and said someone might be interested in it. We're in the Ozark Mountains, Central USA.
BTW Does anyone remember the heavy equipment salvage yard between Neosho and Granby, MO beside Alt 71 hwy/hwy 59A? i remember watching all that old Iron being sheared and hauled for scrap as i drove by. It went on for months. At one time they had a FD31 or 41? parked by the highway. it was the biggest dozer i've ever seen. (We got the hd7 idler there).

hillbillywrench

DSCF7609.jpgDSCF7612.jpgDSCF7619.jpgDSCF7626.jpgDSCF7628.jpgPics of the HD7 posted above.
I seem to remember someone in the Joplin, MO area restoring an HD7. I don't even remember where I saw the info. (Maybe it was a "G" trackloader and wouldn't have any common parts).
I have/can get more pics of specific details if anyone wants to see more of the tired old girl. My boy would love to get her running, but my dad is done wrenching on anything and I know how big a project this would be for me (I have too many projects already). (I would love to hear the old detroit screaming again though!)

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Looks to be a Baker blade on it if I'm not mistaken. That machine looks decent and complete. You might be surprised. That old 3-71 might pop off quite easily. I see the exhaust has been covered. The blower seal is not to major of a project. Realistically it will be tough to get scrap price less hauling if you sell it. I would keep it and help your son out with a little work on it now and then. Lot worse things a kid could be involved with than old machinery. Good Dad/Kid stuff also and a keepsake from grandpa. Bet he will be happy to have your son owning it. Most of is have regrets selling something of our parents that we would like back years later.
Good luck and keep posted with what ever you decide.

hillbillywrench

My dad bought this dozer to clear some timber, ran it for a few years in his spare time, got a some land cleared. When the steering clutch went out I was living out-of-state and he left it setting. Then he hired a guy with a Cat D6 to clear some more land, build a pond, and drag the Allis out to flat ground. I never spent more than a few minutes in the seat.
It needed a tree pusher added to the blade to be very useful in the timber around here. (And a ripper would be icing on the cake.) He followed the same path that I see alot on these forums. Buy dozer, get tired of wrenching/buying parts, hire work done by someone else who has to turn the wrenches and buy parts, haha.
The old girl can set in the woods until someone needs the parts or I get enough other projects done to look at it.
BTW, I love the noisy old Detroits. When i was growing up they were common in the local dumptrucks. Love the sound of a 6-71 running through 13 gears. A local guy shoehorned a 6-71 into an early 60's 3/4 ton Ford 4x4. He pulls it at the local truck/tractor pulls. It's a nice change after watching a bunch of Dodge/cummins pull. (Especially when he beats their distance)

rayman

HillBilly, thats a "Baker" blade. If I remember right you had to work your blade while on the move, the hydraulic pump was driven off the drive shaft and did not run while the clutch was disengaged. They were built by the thousands during WW2 for the forces. When you got used to them they were o.k.

hillbillywrench

My dad got a front idler for the hd7 from there. He had all kinds of treasures hiding in the weeds, but I never got to wander through it before it all got crunched for scrap.