• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis Chalmers m-100

ippielb

Weird question, I want to take my power steering gearbox off the front of my grader. Is the shaft that runs down to the pitman arm part of the gear box? Or can I take the plate off on the top of the gearbox, detach the shaft, and then remove the gear box? I don’t want any oil mess.

I had some honey bees decide to make a hive in the front frame of my grader they are climbing up through by the steering shaft. I want to save the bees without covering them in oil so I can put them with my other bees.

ippielb

376225E2-1E56-495E-9F8D-30E03445D2A1.jpeg
well, lucky me, found a parts catalog. Looks like I can take it apart at the top. But definitely would be easier to just try and wrench that big nut off the bottom that way I can get that shaft out giving me room to try and work in there. Going to try and vacuum up all the bees. Just gotta get the queen and the rest will follow.

ippielb

Well that sucks, ripped off that steering box, sure enough it’s a tube all the way down to the steering pitman arm. So I couldn’t access the bees.

there’s no other way to get to them without cutting a hole. And they’re not worth cutting a hole in the machine for. I managed to vacuum up a good 500-700 bees at least. And put them in their own box. Gave them some food and water. I put some cinnamon around the area they were going in, it supposedly is off putting. So it will hopefully make them move. Then I hope to snag the queen if she moves somewhere else.

but a bonus, now that I have the steering box off. I was having some problems turning left. The power steering worked just fine going right, but left was an absolute bear. Any ideas?