1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis Chalmers D grader.

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by mark18mwm, May 11, 2014.

1. mark18mwm

mark18mwm Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys have experience with a Allis D grader? A friend is considering picking one up, they are asking $9000.00 but I think that they may move some on the price. This thing is in extremely good shape for its age. One nice thing is I don't think it has been repainted (at least recently) so you can easily see any "scars" it has. There is some play in things, but it seems everything with play is in a area that has shims to adjust play. tires are great, engine sounds real good, it has the same engine as the D-17. It is the newer square tube not the old round tube frame.
    He obviously doesn't plan on this being a "production " machine, just for the occasional small job and not use his dozer (truth is it will probably just be a toy).
    What are you guys opinions on this thing? I know $9000 seem high but this is in great shape, just real old. I know at one time they were a popular little grader and am wondering on what people thought about them? Too much money? Parts supply available? Where they reliable even back when there were more in use?

2. 06Pete

06Pete Well-Known Member

I have one a 1974 in real good shape original paint and I would not take less than 10,000 but nobody has taken me up on it either. They are good machines just very light and get tossed around easily but are great for small driveways and short roads. I haven't had the need for to many parts but what I have needed were available. The worst thing to find are the tires 8.25 r20 grader tires are not available as I have found but truck tires work but as it is not a popular size any more it is harder to find them. Overall they are a good machine and do a great job on small jobs if you take your time.

3. mark18mwm

Thank's 06Pete, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear. We were wondering about the tires. The way it looks, we thought we might be able to put 10.00x20 or 11x22.5 dayton truck wheels and tires on if need be.

4. 06Pete

06Pete Well-Known Member

I am sure 10.00 20 will hit each other on the tandems and hold the front up to high to get a good cut with the blade. I was thinking of either 20 inch tractor tires or going tubeless and try to find low profile 22.5's that were close in height. I had a supplier that had some and just sold them before I called he said that the forign manufactures make them from time to time so I am still hopeing to find the right ones before mine are gone or I locate a nice 570 Deere and sell my AC I really would like the articulation and the AC does not like snow at all to light the 570 does way better.

5. mark18mwm

06pete, I think you are right about the tires being to tall. But we compared some low-pro 22.5 and they look like they will work if need be. Well, He bought the grader today, even drove it home about 40 miles, runs like a champ. Looking forward to playing with the old girl. I would imagine you are right about snow, It has to be way to light for that. I have some grader experience, mostly Cat 140G and Cat 12. The guy that bought it doesn't have any experience in a grader (unless you count 40 highway miles HaHa), this will be a learning experience for both of us.

6. DonBC

DonBC Well-Known Member

Retired mechanical engineer.
    I have a 59 model and you are right about the snow. Mine had mud and snow truck tires on it when I got it. The tires had various levels of wear and since all four drive wheels are locked together and I would be roading it some on pavement I wanted all the drive tires to be exactly the same. I put on truck tires with less aggressive tread because I didn't want to over stress the drive train and I was also dealing with some bony soil. We rarely see snow here but when conditions align right we can get substantial amounts of heavy wet snow. I do have enough chains for all four drive wheels but they would have to be really tight so as not to catch each other on the tandems. So far chains on two wheels has worked well.

7. rsherril

rsherril Well-Known Member

Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
    Just an FYI concerning chaining up from a previous post I put up:

and a reply from Nige:

Now I go the distance with all four tandem wheels chained up.

8. DonBC

DonBC Well-Known Member

So far I have only chained up two wheels for several reasons. Initially I was only able to scrounge up one set of chains. The foreman for the local highway's maintenance contract on our island told me that he only chains up one set of drivers on his big Cat grader and one front wheel on the rare occasions that we see snow. I do have enough chains now for all drivers and the front wheels as well but the clearance between the tandems is so tight that if there is any slack in the chains at all there is risk that they could catch one another and cause real havoc. The grader is relatively light and I do not have calcium in any of my tires. Our snow is heavy and wet and packs down under the wheels and becomes very slippery. The chains break up the snow packed by the front drivers and give the back drivers better traction. This slippery snow is the reason why a front wheel may be chained up as well. Even though the snow is heavy and wet it does not seem to take a lot of effort on the part of the grader to roll off snow that is 16"-20" deep. Our ground doesn't freeze so if I can get down to bare ground I can push the snow without chains but even an inch of snow under the tires will stop me dead.

9. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    This is my cousin's toy and he uses it every winter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  10. DonBC

DonBC Well-Known Member

Hank, tell your cousin that his toy is a good looking machine. It does show that chains on all drivers will work but that grader also has the drop centre wheels with 7.50 x 20 tires which would give a little more clearance than mine that has the flat rims and 8.25 x 20 tires. I did pick up turn-buckles and hooks so that I could strap the chains across the wheels to get them extra tight but there really hasn't been enough snow here to bother.

11. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    Thanks I will tell him, plans are to go to Edmonton in the fall.

12. kb9tci

kb9tci Senior Member

Been using our D quite a bit lately reshaping the landscape on our new construction. Handy little devil, but just have to take small bites at a time. It had 7.50-20s on it when we got it, but I had to upsize to 8.25-20s since I cound not find anything else. I was wondering if i could fit chains on it, as the tires are pretty close to everything. It is all but worthless on the snow as it is now :rolleyes:

13. Taylortractornu

Taylortractornu Charter Member

Privvate landfill operator/manager
    Our old round tube D had a catastrophic failure in the transmission and we bought a later model one. A 68 square nose with larger tires. Im thinking about building a power unit with a larger single axle like a maintainer has to keep it running. we found some Chinese 8.20 tractor tires a few years ago did a good job till a month ago when the breakdown happened.