• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis Chalmers 545B transmission

Douglas 545B

I just replaced my TT 2221-1 Allison transmission in my wheel loader and cannot seem to get the charge pump to pick up the fluid. I put in 15/40 to start and have tried 3 (used) pumps that I have. I have put a hand crank pump to the draw tube to check if there were any leaks in the tube. I was able to draw fluid without any bubbles. I packed the last pump with Vaseline, made new gaskets and was able to get fluid movement until I turned the loader off. Went to start it up again and now have no fluid movement. I thought well maybe the 15/40 is too thick and heavy for the pump. So I drained the tranny and refilled with ATF. I still can’t get any fluid movement. I even applied about 13lbs of air pressure to the fill tube to help try to push the fluid up with no positive results. Is there a check valve somewhere? What am I doing wrong. I know that the second pump I tried was working with no issues on my previous transmission. The pumps are incredibly simple looking? Are they that sensitive? Where could I possibly losing prime? HELP!