• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

All in a days (or two) work pictures

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
july 12 008.JPGjuly 12 009.JPGjuly 12 010.JPGjuly 12 011.JPGjuly 12 012.JPG
Someone else had taken this apart, then put it back together, then the tranny had a bolt come loose in it and went through everything, they pulled it back apart again, the tranny shop warrantied the parts, then that mechanic was sick of working on it, so after about a year this customer found me to reassemble machine, all works good now, this is the only D 9 i have ever worked on, thats alot of trips up those tracks into the hole and back out.......theironoracle

Last edited:

d9gdon

Glad you got it back together, looks like a nice machine. I bet you coulda used a helper by the end of the job, nothing's light on those tractors. I'm sure that trans shop mechanic was sick about it coming apart, I would be.

I noticed it could use a new larger exhaust pipe that will let it breathe right though. Somebody took one off a 318 Detroit and planted it on there it looks like.

theironoracle

Occupation
july 12 013.JPGjuly 12 014.JPG

d9gdon, i did have a helper, he was from the owners company, he was amazing but a little quirky, he had everything clean all of the bolts organized by size in zip locks, ordered all of the parts and what not. he just lacked the tools and the confidence to do this job himself.

Randy88

Just out of curiosity, if its the only one you've ever worked on, how did you know what bolts went where and how for sure it went back together again, especailly on a machine that old where someone must have done some modificaitons to it over the years? I've found the need to take pictures as I disassemble things, to know or remember how to put them back together again, I'd be lost to come to a piece that was in parts and didn't have any idea how it was came apart in the first place, to ever get it back together again right in the end. I've also found over the years, service manuals with "pictures" are by far the best manuals ever made, that and parts books that give bolt lengths and sizes, which are rare anymore to come by.

I'll have to give two thumbs up for the next generation though, my son uses his cell phone to take pictures, then downloads them onto his laptop, to blow up so I can see them, gosh technology is great once in a while.

theironoracle

Occupation
Randy88,

these dozers are very simple, lots of large parts and bolts make it easy to reassemble, and yes refering to manuals with pics and parts books make me even more confident in my work. Sometimes i get things out of order and have to take something off to install something that runs under it but this thing didn't have to many pieces. I have always approached my work from the perspective that a part is failed therefore i don't want to put it back the way the last guy did, i want to put it back correctly or the way the book tells me to. I came across this one day when i was rebuilding a d6h trans, i had only lasted about 1200 hrs on the dealer rebuild and the forward clutches had looked like they had melted out of the trans!!!! I checked every single part number on that pack and found they had installed one of two parts of an update which allowed a little to much clearance on the forward clutch plates!!!!!!!!...........theironoracle

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . theironoracle. Is that Mazda ute (pickup) with the canopy in your #41 post a common item in your parts? What engine do they run in the 'States?

I agree with D9gdon that stack looks way small.

Cheers.

Last edited:

theironoracle

Occupation
SCRUB PULLER,

that belongs to a customer, i know a little about those trucks, the model of those trucks is a b2200, which make the engine a 2200 cc gas engine......................theironoracle

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Thanks theironoracle, I was just curious thats all, I didn't realise the Mazda's were available in the US . . . I have their three litre turbo/aftercooled diesel and it seems a nice truck so far.

Cheers.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Scrub Puller,

For some reason the market and the EPA don't like small turbo diesels its has to do with brain damage at an early age I think

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . stinkycat. I have been told that before, doesn't seem to make sense to us fellers looking in . . . and from your comments it seems you think the same.

The little diesels are effective and I'm sure they have a place.

Cheers.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Scrub Puller
I started playing with diesels in the 50's and loved everyday Detroit from the little 53 series up to 149 series, Cleveland /EMD up to 645, a few Cummings and Cats, and with a Fairbanks Morse or two thrown in just to keep you on your toes. Turbo Diesel is good way to go. But some of the direct injected turbo charged gas engines are getting good with 2000 psi fuel pressure.

theironoracle

Occupation
427.JPG428.JPG429.JPG430.JPG431.JPG
here is thursdays little projects, seals were bad and rod was badly pitted so i installed a complete adjuster.............theironoracle

theironoracle

Occupation
416.JPG417.JPG418.JPG419.JPG420.JPG
first snow of the year! had to remove this blade control valve to reattach the spring and bolt to the bottom of the tilt spool, also replaced the control handle, bearings were froze up and the handle had been broken off and rewelded in place causing it to stick when angling blade, the quick couplers for the air conditioning were totally rusted had to cut them apart with a die grinder to get the top fender cover off and get new ones...................theironoracle

theironoracle

Occupation
425.JPG426.JPG
the clutch plates rusted to the drum had to disassemble clean and reassemble with anti-sieze on splines in and out, this all accured from just condensation the owner always parks it under cover on the farm, nice to be in a shop on this day................theironoracle

theironoracle

Occupation
421.JPG422.JPG423.JPG
keeper bolt backed out of main boom pin!!! i just removed the waratah head, realligned and pounded pin back in to temporary it to get it on a lowboy to send to the shop, both boom cylinder barrels had to be replaced, all bores straightened and line bored, it came back out and i reinstalled the waratah, its days like this i am sure glad i don't own these things, the owner was devistated it had just had all the bores and bearings done, cylinders repacked and the new waratah installed in about June!!!!!!!!.......................theironoracle

OldandWorn

What a shame....Not that this has anything to do with the failure but newer equipment sure looks weak compared to the old stuff. I hope whoever did the previous repair took care of the bill.

BDFT

Did that John Deere have that phony set crew set up to keep the boom pin in? Outfit I used to work for had the bucket pin work out after only about 500 hours on a brand new 2154 roadbuilder. Pretty mickey mouse way of holding things together.

theironoracle

Occupation
Bdft, it has 3/4" one bolt with a 3" washer covering a tab welded to the pin, pretty basic either hole is worn or it was not givin a good torque when installed, oldandworn the warranty is a gray area not paid for yet but maybe will be, past any basic warranty period, and these operators don't even check there oils daily they wait for pumps to start whinning, or chains to burn up bars before any action is taken, they probably hadn't even walked over to that side of the machine in weeks, who is really responsible?????....................theironoracle