• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

All in a days (or two) work pictures

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice work TIO!

The pivot shaft on my 953 is a grease fitting and with 5K on the clock it's still tight.

I've never seen a tracked skidder in person, all the logging outfits in my area run wheeled skidders. Interesting machines.

ETER

Nice work TIO, it looks like you had to put down more than a couple of pounds of build-up! I bet those rear idlers take a beating, the little Deere forestry dozers are hard on them.
Regards, Bob

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
image.jpg
I guess the this last picture didn't upload? Thanks guys for the compliments. If you cruise my thread I think you will see pics of numerous undercarriage and other repairs on these Cat track skidders. They are very hard on undercarriages. They don't get used on the "easy" skids mostly when the wheel skidders can't. Pivot shafts on these are oil from the factory and often ruin the seals then get converted to grease......TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
Its been a bit since I've worked in the woods. Definately my favorite place to work! The second day was windy/cold and a bit of rain but nothing requiring rain gear. It's the best!!!! TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpg

Brake repair on an oldee but goodee. Friction material left on one side of one disc!! Seals bad, one piston installed backwards? One broken spring in each side. Used the old hydraulic press to compress the springs for disassembly. Another note here is this ABS tub I'm using I found at Home Depot it's actually a mortar mix tub cheap and available in multiple sizes, good tool..... TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpg

Just a standard put the track back on ASAP. Customer would normally do this themselves but I was on the job. I don't think any of the bottom rollers actually move! Pretty well trashed at 5000 hrs? Last job it had was sorting thousands of yards of rip rap from a huge pile of rock in a quarry that was sorted out as oversize for the jaws that crush!!! TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
A note on this undercarriage: early in its oft the pads were replaced under warranty due to being soft, not heat treated correctly? Anyways I think the entire undercarriage was bad! I have seen plenty of abused undercarriage but failure this bad at 5000 hours in a first for me....TIO

d9gdon

A note on this undercarriage: early in its oft the pads were replaced under warranty due to being soft, not heat treated correctly? Anyways I think the entire undercarriage was bad! I have seen plenty of abused undercarriage but failure this bad at 5000 hours in a first for me....TIO

That's the worst UC I've ever seen on an excavator. I'd be talking to my PSSR a long time before it got this bad. That is terrible, the grousers even look like I drew them on with a crayon.

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpg

Jaw bearing replacement in a Pegson track jaw. The pieces were a bit of a load for the little red wagon....TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpg
Picture of an AFC udjustment, diaphragm was failed so I wanted to take a picture before I backed it out all the way so they could keep working while I ordered parts. What is the correct way to set these up after I repair it? Cat guy said to screw it all the way in but I'm pretty sure he wasn't remembering correctly..however the operator was smiling ear to ear when I found the problem...
image.jpgimage.jpg

Dump pup trailer suspension. I have done s lot of this lately very long rough road. The wear was due to someone installing a new track rod and not aligning the axle. It was out 1.5"'s on top of that being overloaded and driven fast over a long rough road broke many springs too. This last month has been full of repairing things other "mechanics" have "fixed incorrectly or incompletely....TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpgimage.jpg

This job was a single turbo conversion on a c-15 acert. Been a few weeks now and the owner/operator loves it. This engine has around 600k on it. The reason we did it was the manifold cracked, as we tore it apart we found the second turbo had lots of wear and was nearly failed also most of the hot side plumbing was leaking. Really cleans up the side of the engine....TIO

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice. That modification should be done to any ACERT engine that's on the road IMO.

Oxbow

View attachment 156607
Picture of an AFC udjustment, diaphragm was failed so I wanted to take a picture before I backed it out all the way so they could keep working while I ordered parts. What is the correct way to set these up after I repair it? Cat guy said to screw it all the way in but I'm pretty sure he wasn't remembering correctly..however the operator was smiling ear to ear when I found the problem...
View attachment 156608View attachment 156609

Dump pup trailer suspension. I have done s lot of this lately very long rough road. The wear was due to someone installing a new track rod and not aligning the axle. It was out 1.5"'s on top of that being overloaded and driven fast over a long rough road broke many springs too. This last month has been full of repairing things other "mechanics" have "fixed incorrectly or incompletely....TIO

On my truck engines I adjust them so that there is as little smoke as possible without hesitation. All the way in (no threads showing on the set screw) gives full fuel before boost pressure comes up, which equals LOTS of smoke. Too far out (more threads showing) and the rack will never fully open even after the boost comes up. It is probably adjusted about right as pictured, and a couple of threads showing should be a good place to start. After that it is just personal preference, but blowing excessive smoke is just wasted fuel in my opinion.

theironoracle

Occupation
Nice. That modification should be done to any ACERT engine that's on the road IMO.

At this point I agree that all acerts should have this done when a large failure occurs. Parts and labor on this job was about $12,000. This seems like a lot but that's what I figure we would have had into it if we had gone back to stock but there would have been used parts still on the truck like the exhaust cooler and #1 turbo to fail later. I am not sure if the dealer will work on this engine now but we will see. I'm not a proponent of messing with things like DPF EGR etc but this isn't a conversion like that. The c-15 was originally produced with only one turbo.....TIO

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
TIO, I only need two words...you're good. To identify the correct parts required to trash that twin turbo slab act by Cat and get them ordered, then do such a tidy job on the install on the right side of that power plant, brother...you're a damn good mechanic! :cool:

theironoracle

Occupation
Willie59,

I appreciate the accolades but they are not deserved in this situation. This is a kit the customer purchased and had me install. The only custom part was how long to cut the flex pipes and the fresh air intake. TIO

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie59,

I appreciate the accolades but they are not deserved in this situation. This is a kit the customer purchased and had me install. The only custom part was how long to cut the flex pipes and the fresh air intake. TIO

Well...I ain't takin it back, that's still a thumbs up job. :drinkup

lantraxco

I'm with Willie on that one, kit or not it takes a craftsman to install it all and make it look factory neat! :notworthy