• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

All in a days (or two) work pictures

diver

Occupation
retired
WOW, i bet that is why my case 188D engine is blowing water out radiator.. Nice this helped me alot. On page 7 of picture of head gasket repair

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I like the long reaction arm on your torque wrench. Did you make that?

Yes Mike I built that longer reaction arm. I need to rebuild lighter weight, I engineered it with safety in mind and it is really heavy!!....TIO

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The iron pictures should make me sick. The dog picture does make me sick. I can't stand suffering in an animal. Even death should be instant for them.

FSERVICE

TIO looks like you found a nice warm spot to work on that D8!!! its nice to get a "inside job" when its cold/snowing!! good looking work there!! I love my hydraulic wrench couldn't do without it!!

theironoracle

Occupation
Thanks F-service. I got some cabin fever working inside that much. I keep thinking of updating that hydraulic torque wrench, it is 3/4" and air drive pump, I want to go to 1" and electric drive, looks be about $5,000 to do it though probably not worth it....TIO

tctractors

I have looked into this hydraulic Torque Wrench issue to some degree, my thoughts are anything below 1" 1/2 drive is not of any use to me as there is mechanical tooling about for just a few £100 pounds that can cope as good and faster than this oil set up, the price of the kit is very strong for something that is a bit hard to be able to charge the Customer for, so anything under 1"1/2 drive in my mind is not a good investment but I would love to know different???

tctractors

LoggerSS

Tio ... you're worth your weight in gold. It's guys like yourself that keep this world running. You should have at least two apprentices working with you, who could learn from your vast knowledge of equipment and do any grunt work for you. Amazing and totally inspiring.

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

Undercarriage work again? They say things come in 3's which means there must be another one in the near future? A note here for TC about hydraulic torque wrenches, I used one here to remove 400 pad bolts and 80 bottom roller bolts. Most pad bolts took 3000 ft/lbs to bust loose, I was 4 times as productive using the hydraulic torque wrench over using 1" impact and the rose bud. For many reasons the customer wanted pads unbolted not torched off. Many ways to skin a cat (pun intended) hydraulic torque was the fastest and easiest. I was able to remove and install these bottom rollers without removing the rock guards, thank you to CAT for good engineering! And of coarse a pic of the invaluable track press doing its job again.....TIO

tctractors

TIO, a good job well done and credit to your efforts, its not the common thing in the U.K. now for fitters/mechanics to swap out track plates due to firstly the cost, then the issue with re-using the old bolt hardware on new chains, the Track outfits usually handle the plate swap, I don't mind doing the work on the pads its a bit boring and I have done plenty of it, but its work that I get little of, the track guard job was a sound bit of a dodge. tctractors

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
How would you break down the types of jobs you do? Mostly undercarriage? Engine ?Hydraulic?

theironoracle

Occupation
How would you break down the types of jobs you do? Mostly undercarriage? Engine ?Hydraulic?
Mikel,

It's just hit and mis with everything. What I have posted in my thread is the major stuff you can actually take pictures of. Over the last month what you don't see is, diagnostic of a hydraulic solenoid valve failure keeping a rock hammer on an excavator from working correctly, 2 days finding rat chewed wires in that d8r keeping ripper from working correctly, new feeder belt and fuel transfer pump and some minor welding on a powers teen warrior, half a day a customer hired me to inspect a used log loader he was looking at buying, a few hydraulic cylinder remove and reinstalls, other wiring diagnostics, etc. Also lately I have had my crusher out on rent and of coarse I perform all repairs and maintenance on it plus train operators on how to use it. I just do a little of everything from the owner operator to the large guys with hundreds of employees. I really enjoy different jobs and different customers. I have a great job and a group of real good customers. How about yourself mikel?...TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A pump drive coupler replacement on a 330cll. Just enough room to remove coupler pieces and flywheel without losening any hydraulic lines. The flywheel had to be remove to remove a broken bolt. My jobs haven't been much to take pictures of lately......TIO

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Lucky you TIO, not often one is able to pull the pump away from the housing and not have to crack open or remove hoses and pipes. Nice. :drinkup

theironoracle

Occupation
Willie I just do my best to be "priceless". Look at my post #64, i think the saying goes "even a broken clock is right twice a day". Well that's twice for me so next time I guess I'll break the seals! Lol!!!!! TIO

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie I just do my best to be "priceless". Look at my post #64, i think the saying goes "even a broken clock is right twice a day". Well that's twice for me so next time I guess I'll break the seals! Lol!!!!! TIO

LoL, one thing I'm quite certain of, whether you get to simply pull it back a bit, or whether you have to break the seals...you'll kick it square in the arse, rock on bro! :drinkup

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tough to take good pictures of these projects. Eccentric repair in a roller. Tons of fuel in the oil on the link belt. The weather has been super nice!!!! TIO

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Interesting, I've never had the pleasure of pulling the wobbler apart in a roller drum. Pretty cool how you stood the drum on end to do the surgery. :drinkup

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I've only had one roller drum apart but life is a lot easier if you stand it on end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Failed pivot shaft causing heavy contact between sprocket and track frame. Welded up track frame and converted to grease instead of oil. Dry iced new bushings and reinstalled. Reassembled back in the field.....TIO