• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alberta side booms

lynchy

Occupation
Plant operator
Hi,there's a company advertising over here in UK,looking for CAT side boom and excavator operators,for Alberta?Paying$40/hr,$145 day accom,flights payed,is this a good rate?Seems funny advertising over here,is there a shortage of operators?Regards Dave.

blooper

Seems low. I have friends there that started as labourers at that rate. Flights paid is def a nice perk though. And yes there is a shortage of operators.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The only reason we have a shortage of operators and skilled labour in this country is because companies here don't want to do any training and for years the government has encouraged very strongly for people to go to University and get a degree in something useless so they can have a "McJob". My grandfather said it was the same thing when he moved here from Germany in the early fifties.
Would this company happen to be O.J. Pipelines by chance? I think I've seen the same ad here, just be warned that sidebooms here are all 'open' in that they don't have a cab you'll roast in the summer with temperatures in the summer over 30 degrees celsius and temperatures in the winter that can feel like -50 degrees celsius when you factor the wind. If this is the job going through southern Alberta into southern Saskatchewan you'll be working in an area known as Palliser's Triangle the most arid and dry part of Canada and there are no trees to stop the wind.....

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
I doubt it would be OJ. They are union and would have to pay the rate. And it seems pretty low for an exprienced operator.