• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Akutan Ak. Cut and fill

Lashlander

The second shot was 18,000# Placed some of it in the water and created a little tsunami about 6' high. No damage to the harbor though. Did have a little problem with a rock and the utilities though.

Last edited:

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I see Sig Hansen and company decided to stop by. I met him in the restaurant I work at earlier this summer, served him, his wife, and daugther their food. He asked me if the sour cream on his wife's baked potato was going to cost him extra, as if he didn't have the money. :cool2 Seems like a pretty cool guy.

Pics are lookin good as always.

nedly05

I see Sig Hansen and company decided to stop by. I met him in the restaurant I work at earlier this summer, served him, his wife, and daugther their food. He asked me if the sour cream on his wife's baked potato was going to cost him extra, as if he didn't have the money. :cool2 Seems like a pretty cool guy.

Pics are lookin good as always.

He must have had a bad season last year!!

Great pics Lash, how many hours a week are you guys workin on that project? How deep is the cut all in total??

Lashlander

We had the road blocked so I hauled the Discovery Channels cameras though with our 966.

nedly said:
Great pics Lash, how many hours a week are you guys workin on that project? How deep is the cut all in total??

The tallest cut is right at 150'. Were working seven twelves with a few thirteens and fourteens throw in for good measure.

Digger293

Occupation
On disability right now but hoping to get a job op
It's true.. a pictures worth a thousand words/

Thanks Lashlander.....I just learned a ton on how to take down a bank like that just from those pictures....

Lashlander

In the 2nd pic in the last set of pics you can see a berm. We put that there to protect a utility trench that was supposed to be 5' deep. After the shot the power and phones were out so we knew there was a problem. This rock was the culprit. Sheared of the face and stuck in the ground. Severed the 100 pair phone line, 440 volt power cable, 6" water line. 3" force main sewer and a 2" schedule 80 fuel line. When we dug it up the trench was 12' from the berm we put there to protect it and they were only a foot and a half deep.:Banghead

Last edited:

Lashlander

Few more pics. Set fire to the spilled fuel. Cleaned it up pretty good. The rest are loading another shot.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Great pictures as usual. :drinkup

How many more shots will yall have to pull before you get it cut back to where you want it? At what depth are yall drilling the holes?

Lashlander

How many more shots will yall have to pull before you get it cut back to where you want it? At what depth are yall drilling the holes?

There were 5 shots. 148,000 lbs of powder for 168,000 yards shot. We placed an estimated 165,000 yards with the overburden. We left around 70,000 yards on the pit floor for future fill. The deepest holes were 90'.

Once all the rock was placed we screened up 5000 yards of 4" minus so they could top it off once it settles for a while. It will settle for a couple years but will slow down in 6 months or so.

Last edited:

Lashlander

Just had a couple big rocks to break so I could shove them back up the hill. Load the flats. Barge came in at midnight. Loaded out by 5:00am. Caught a freighter to Dutch Harbor at 6:00 am and a plane home. :woohoo

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Great job Lash, looks like you might be just getting out of there in time.

Wish I could get away from wall building in the heat for awhile and just do some saddle time on a job like that.