• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Akutan Ak. Cut and fill

Lashlander

A few job pics. This is an expansion for a seafood processor. A pretty tough place to get the equipment to the top. Total job is around 400,000 yards. They hope to get around 125,000 done this year and the rest next year. CB heres a pic of the Volcano, the last time it erupted it blew its top off so doesn't have the classic look, you can see it smoldering though. Notice the eagle under the rock in the second pic?

Last edited:

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
WOW!!! that is some serious digging there. So let me get this straight, you are digging into a volcano? Or the pic was of another mountian that has a volcano???:eek: :eek:

Lashlander

The Volcano is at the head end of the bay, about a mile away. Heres a few more.

Last edited:

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Looks like you got some serious digging ahead. Also appears as though that dozer's ripper is going to get a work out too:Banghead , what size is it?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Good thing you have a 45 ton excavator thats hard stuff to dig we call dirt like that rotten rock its not hard like a rock but its still hard to dig. One job I was on had to us a 200 sized machine with a breaker to loosen it up.

Is the fishing in Alaska that good still that a seafood processor needs to expand ?

I imagine the crab fishery must be the biggest profit and done the most.

Lashlander

Looks like you got some serious digging ahead. Also appears as though that dozer's ripper is going to get a work out too:Banghead , what size is it?

The dozer is a D10N, we went out to strip the top off and see if it would rip it. Most of it rips easy but does have some hard spots that isn't worth the time and abuse of ripping. We'll have to shoot it.

Is the fishing in Alaska that good still that a seafood processor needs to expand ? I imagine the crab fishery must be the biggest profit and done the most.

This plant has the capability to produce over 3 million pounds a day. They have over 25 draggers over 125' in length fishing for them. Production is down a little because all local waters are closed because of Salmon bycatch. They have to run over 24 hours out to fish. The big products are Pollack, Cod, and Halibut. Crab is just a drop in the bucket to these guys.

Heres a few more pics of the climb to the top. The big surprise when we got there was between 8 to 15 feet of top soil and ash. It doesn't show so good in the pics but you can count at least 12 different layers from different eruptions. It instantly turns to pudding when you disturb it. We are constantly muck bound.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Lash, those are some spectacular pictures you got there. Every job you do entertains me for hours. :drinkup

SO.....you still haven't eailed me that job application. :cool2 :D

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Awesome pictures. I'm sure one gets used to seeing that view all the time, but it still must be a nice place to live and work.

Some of the angles that 345 is working at look a little uncomfortable to say the least. Are they just about the maximum you can go? How is the work speed affected by the steep angle's effects on both operator and machine? I know most equipment will work on much steeper stuff than the operator cares for, but I guess actually seeing it in a picture made it really jump out for me.

Lashlander

Lash, those are some spectacular pictures you got there. Every job you do entertains me for hours. :drinkup

SO.....you still haven't eailed me that job application. :cool2 :D

Thanks CB, Wrenchbender said to send it to him and he'd get it to you. I'm not sure what happened.

Awesome pictures. Some of the angles that 345 is working at look a little uncomfortable to say the least. Are they just about the maximum you can go? How is the work speed affected by the steep angle's effects on both operator and machine? I know most equipment will work on much steeper stuff than the operator cares for, but I guess actually seeing it in a picture made it really jump out for me.

Thanks Cat, This about as steep as a guy wants to get. Its about as steep as it would stay on the slope. You don't want to get to speedy at thet angle either. Your right to, its uncomfortable for the operator. He thought he was close enough to make a run for the top but when he ran into all the overburden he backed up and leveled himself back up.

Heres a few more after we got an area big enough to get the 10 up and get going.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Thats alot of fish they can process :eek:

The job itself is a big one the cat skinner must like heights I don't know if I want to be pushing over a edge that far up.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Right on man! Love the pics! I've been in some nasty places with an excavator before where I had to build shelves to get myself to the top but you got me beat! Keep the pics coming, they're always appreciated!

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Lashlander, you mind if I ask what the vertical distance is on that cliff you are pushing off of? Looks like a long way down!
Take care and be careful, thanks for the interesting pics!
alan627b